1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you give me your views on the following? I am considering a BHP Practical in .40 for carry. I usually carry a 1911 Commander. First, how would you compare the recoil of the BHP in .40 vs the 1911 in .45? Second, hammer bite: does the C&S hammer pretty much eliminate hammer bite? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've never had a problem with hammer bite with the newer HPs. Can't address recoil of the 40S&W since I dumped all of the 40S&Ws that I owned. Just never liked the cartridge and couldn't find a place for it in the lineup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 40BHP , but I had the hammer cropped. My hands just seem to like to get bite by hammers. Recoil is fine , to me it does seem less than a 45. If I wasn't in love with my Sprgfld Blk SS 45 I would be carrying the BHP practical in 40.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a .40BHP with the C&S hammer. I get no hammer "bite" but my hands are of average size.

As to recoil, in my hands the .40BHP feels "sharper" then my all steel 1911 5" when shooting 180gr and 230gr factory rounds respectively. Muzzle rise and comming back on target seem about the same (to me).

regards

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have 2 .40's (Browning Hi Power and H&K USP Compact) and three 1911-based pistols (Kimber Gold Match, Kimber Compact, and Para Companion LDA).

Both my .40 pistols have a "sharper" recoil impulse, but they have slightly less muzzle rise than the .45's.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I purchased a new BHP Practical in 9mm last week. FWIW, I am NOT suffering from the dreaded hammer bite that others have written about (particularly with the ring-type hammer). I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I just have 'girlie hands'. :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
I haven't had any hammer bite pbs with either the Practical or a MKIII, both .40's. And the recoil is different than a steel 5" .45 1911, but being a Hi Power, it's not a problem, and my favorite pistol to shoot. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did shoot my friends BHP in .40S&W and for whatever reason the Hammer bite was pretty bad (it drew blood on the second shot).........I do get a bit of the bite with my BHP 9mm, but unless I shoot 300+ rounds it's doesn't bother me.....the recoil seemed very managable with .40 cal

·
Registered
376 Posts
FWIW, I'd definitely suggest reading the link posted above by Mr Camp regarding hammer bite & Hi Powers. I don't have this problem, but for those who do, it's a relatively easy fix and he has a great article on how to deal with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts