1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used BHP and would like to know what weight recoil spring it has in it. Is there any way I can tell?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back to you, Steve

Steve -

Thanks, I know the factory weights; I read your book.

Allow me to rephrase. I have a 9mm, which I bought used. It's a 1990 vintage and has had a lot of work done to it. What I want to know is, is there any way to tell the weight of the spring that is currently in the pistol? I am asking because it seems light and may have been replaced or be "worn out".

I am more used to .45 recoil springs, and my 1911 seems to have a heavier spring than the BHP insofar as retracting the slide goes.

Guess the safest thing would be to simply buy a spring with a known weight. If that's the way to go, I will follow the recommendation in your excellent user's guide and bump the weight up a bit.

I noticed that brownells sells "kits" of BHP springs in various weights. Should I buy a "kit" or just the recoil spring I need?

Thanks, Steve!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, I guess you could send the spring to Wolff Springs, and have them test it for a load rating; but seems like a waste of time. New recoil spring and firing pin spring paks from Wolff are only $7.89. Get factory 17lb, or extra 18.5, etc. all same price. Wolff's number is 1-800-545-0077

·
Registered
554 Posts
Since it's a used gun with unknown history, I'd just go ahead and get the springs replaced. It's an inexpensive item and you'll then start from a known basis.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr Camp --

I'll go with the 18.5 lb. recoil spring, thanks. Per the previous post about Wolff's spring SETS, if I go with the 18.5 lb. recoil spring, what weights should I spec for the other springs? Are they all a standard weight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
You can buy the spring pak as Mr. Camp described, or just order the one spring you want 18.5lb for instance; they will also include the proper firing pin spring with the order. Check out Wolffs web site, or call them at 1-800-545-0077

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe the Wolff 18.5lbs spring comes with the extra power firing pin spring to compensate for the change. I would also consider a buffer if you're going to shoot it a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitley an 18 1/2 spring but not a buffer. I have heard several complaints about the spring loaded buffers besides being too much money

1 - 13 of 13 Posts