1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been skeptical of hearing about problems feeding SD HP's with the humped feed ramp on the barrel. So I took her out to my 'range' and fired both my handloads and various HP SD loads to see it it was going to be an issue or not. I need not have been concerned, as I fired a total of 400 rounds of the stuff, from Gold Dots, Civil Defense, Critical Defense and WW loads. No problems of any kind, so I guess I'm one of the fortunate owners.

And just because I have a lot of it, I fired a bunch of BB 115gr range ammo.

Anyone remember prices like that in pre-pandemic times? Now we know when the 'good ole days' really were.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have had a similar experience. My older T series and 245 series guns with humped feedramps work fine in most cases with modern JHP. The trick I have found is to use new Mecgar mags if you have any FTF issues. They hold the round at a slight higher angle than the older OEM mags and that seems to work well.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Some will have more issues than others but I agree 100% with @DarkLord modern JHPs are much better at feeding universally than they used to be. I would say in the last 10 years they have leaped forward by light years.

·
Premium Member
16,292 Posts
Maybe somebody polished/smoothed those ramps in the past. My FEG wouldn't reliably feed HPs and that's what I did - lightly filed the edges, worked the trough with 600, then polished with metal polish. I recently had to do the same job on a pair of Taurus G-series pistols (non-humped ramps), after which they both fed the FMJ truncated cone 'flat points' that previously had been slamming into the ramp and stopping the slide.

·
Administrator
75,384 Posts
Early hollow points often had a really short OAL, gaping mouths and/or a flat ogive on the bullet, causing fits with guns not designed for them. Modern ammo is more consistent in dimensions and many of the old issues with feed reliability in older firearms have gone away.

As for the pre-pandemic ammo prices... there's no telling what the future will bring. If only we can get rid of this COVID scare and kick the damn Dems out of office things could easily return to normal. Unfortunately the political winds are always blowing against us (if not outright manipulated) so things could just as easily get way worse.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a similar experience. My older T series and 245 series guns with humped feedramps work fine in most cases with modern JHP. The trick I have found is to use new Mecgar mags if you have any FTF issues. They hold the round at a slight higher angle than the older OEM mags and that seems to work well.
I was using two Mecgar mags and the original OEM mag. All functioned perfectly. Now aware of the mag issue, I'll order two more Mecgar mags.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
>>...and kick the damn Dems out of office things could easily return to normal. ..<<<
That $8.00 price tag on the ammunition box was probably put there when those "..damn Dems.." were in office. I wasn't until the '..other guys..' were tryin' to scare the bejesus out of voters that the "..damn Dems.." were gonna' kick in your door and take your guns. That's when those $8.00 price tags were replaced with $34.95 stickers. The firearms industry doesn't give a tinker's damn about '..REP..' or '..DEM..' All they care about is bottomline '..PROFIT..'.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
FWIW, Bought my first new T series back in the '60s, and eventually had several T and C series Hi Powers, even an old ratty INGLIS, with humped feed ramp, that fed JHPs reliably. I have a Bar-Sto barrel from some years ago with what looks like a semi-humped feed ramp, also functions reliably with JHPs. In more recent years, I've seen newer Hi Power owners express concern that their Hi Powers have humped feed ramps, have questions about grinding the ramped straight, etc., etc. Much aguish about nothing IMHO. Especially with today's more semi-auto friendly shaped JHPs. I agree with dsk about early JHP bullet profiles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts