1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need a dispassionate comparison of the two as far as fit, accuracy and finish. I can buy a new Browning HP for $500 or a new Arcus for $229. It means nothing to me that one has Browning stamped on it and the other one does not. All I care about is how well a gun is put together and how it shoots. Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
joe, that is a good question. it so happens that i have one of each. both are excellent and well made. i have done side by side comparisions. thumbs up on both. as far as accuracy, both did well. i lean towards the arcus being a tade better. both use's the same magazines and parts. i assure you take one a part,and really look them over, you'll be real pleased in that department as well. american rifleman and other magazines gave them a high rating as well. i have seen them at gunshows $300 to $350. usely you can have them to come down a little on price
they are well made, and even the tooling marks are removed from the inside. european quality. and i have ran thousands of rounds through it. its still tight, very little if not no ware. and it has been one of the most dependable firearms that i have ever come acrosed. the feg browning h-p are exstremly cheap looking in comparision. also i would like to note that the fig's are considerably lighter made. you can really tell by comparing them to a browning are arcus94.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you plan to keep the gun forever get the cheaper one if you think you may want a higher resale get the gun with the good breeding.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
James, thanks for the reply. I handled an Arcus a couple of gun shows ago and was really impressed. I thought it might have been a fluke because it was put together so well. I had a couple of HPs, a 1964 and a 1975 model. To be honest about it the Arcus looked just as good and in some areas better than the genuine Brownings. Guess I will order one Thurs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an Arcus. I didn't pay much attention to it when I first bought it, but the safety is defective. With the manual safety on, if I press the trigger the hammer moves. You may want to critically inspect the gun when you get it on Thursday.

Also, this gun was rock solid when new. Not much, if any, slop with the slide to frame fit. After only 2000-3000 rounds it has lost its rock-solidness. It's still acceptable but its kind of disheartening that it only took 2-3K before it happened. When I first got it, I could group 5 shots into a ~.40 hole at 25'. But now... not so good.

Also, it looks like the barrel itself is hard-chromed. It increases the servicable life of the barrel, but it also detracts from the accuracy. But overall, its a really good buy. Just be sure that its put together properly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
that was interesting
i have itleast 9000rds are more through mine, and it's still tight and no obvious ware on it. most automatic firearms may loosed up some, thats normal.if its too tight, once carbin builds up, a gun in generial want function depedably. and the safty work's, like it suppose too.euopean quaility, now if they are going to use the best materials and remove machin tool marks, they obviously take pride in there guns. if blams hade those comments, sounds odd, quaility control? i have noticed on the forum, that most of these high dollor 1911's have hade a few simler problem's.i assume quaility control isnt as tight as we like
also maybe some one has tampered with Blam's arcus? well joe, let us know what you get. im pretty sure you'll be as happy, as many of us are. i forgot to mention, that i can still shoot under 2" groups at 25yards.it's accurate as are better than the shooter

[This message has been edited by james beam (edited 07-16-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts