1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine was Federal Ordnance Ranger, full size 45 with alloy frame. Would not even take the first round of hardball off of a Wilson, Mec-gar, chip M., or any magazine I had. Had to shave the bottom of the barrel to get it to line up with the ramp, the I polished and throated the barrel, and reworked the angle of the feed ramp and polished the snot out of it. The extracter was wasted, so I replaced that too. After all of my fiddling around I got it to where it would feed anything you could load into a piece of 45 brass, even the lead 155 grain swc's. I had traded a super nice older S&W Lightweight body guard, a Rossi ported 357 that was like new, and $75.00. That is the last time I ever did the, "jeez, i gotta buy a gun before the show is over thing. When I tradded it off I got about $275.00 out of it . The trigger was a crisp #15 lbs at best. I should have had that corrected and then just kept the stupid thing....

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jeez, how could I forget that'turd' gun, I also had one of them, and it also was a TPC!

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by BB:
AMT Hardballer. Total piece of crap.
10-4 on the Hardballer. I might be able to top it though, with an IAI Javelina 10mm. Built by the same guy with the same quality. Accurate, but rattles so bad its scary, and the sight is junk, just like the Hardballer.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
Ditto on Auto Ordinance. Was the first 1911 I ever bought, wouldn't feed a single mag of ball ammo either at first. Replaced the barrel and extractor with GI parts I got at the next gunshow, and it worked semi-okay after that. But I did trade it in the first chance I had for something else.

Dishonorable mention goes for a STS Colt Commander that was a complete factory lemon. It would feed ball and nothing else, no matter what I did to it. Eventually discovered the bullet ramp was improperly cut so there was no hope without paying big $$$ to have a ramped barrel installed. I pity whatever poor soul currently owns that one!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
400 Posts
Auto Ordnance, bought new and the rear sight was laying in the box when I got home, fell out of dovetail, traded for a Colt and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I hate to say it but it was a Colt Combat Elite. Would not feed ball ammo or anything else for that matter. The frame that my gun was built on was a Gold Cup frame. It had the wide trigger opening but the factory installed a standard trigger. There was so much play in the trigger it was ridiculous. Had the feedramp polished and the barrel throated. There was a huge burr on the inside lower edge of the barrel. That cured the feeding problem. When I had a trigger job done I replaced the trigger with a wide version. After that it was and still is a very nice pistol. Sort of a rags to riches kind of a story.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glock 30, used. Neat little gun, and I kinda liked it...except that it didn't quite work. Even jammed during my CCW class.
I kept saying I was going to send it Glock for diagnosis, but ended up ditching it (with full disclosure to the buyer) to pay for my new carry gun, a stainless Colt Commander.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Frankengun with a Remington Rand slide and a Federal Ordnance frame. Had loads of problems, starting with a bad mainspring.

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What" No Llama's yet?

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
Originally posted by boing:
Glock 30, used.
I kept saying I was going to send it Glock for diagnosis...
Be glad you didn't. Knowing Glock, they would have sent it back untouched and said it was either you or the ammo. After all Glocks NEVER fail- just ask their reps!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey DSK, I wish the reps from Glock would have been at the IDPA match a couple of years ago when my dad's model 23 had an extractor failure. The extractor hook broke. The pistol was a nice single shot though.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I ran Handgun 1 class at Thunder Ranch with a POS Para p-12. I got a BUNCH of training in clearing malfunctions. I hardly ever got thru a mag and this was factory hardball. I traded it to a guy who had to have a Para for a Series 70 Colt GM. I told him about it too. Colt has ran like a champ. He sold the Para after a week. What a POS

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
CHARLES DALY hands down. God that pistol sucked

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Kimbers, two of them, real POS, will never have another clone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts