1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The work shown on Bill Adair's website ( www.restoration-gunsmith.com ) looks to be very nicely done and it is a lot less costly than Doug Turnbull. Can anyone give any feedback on work done by Mr. Adair on Colt 1911's? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
He does excellent work however, in the past he's been so covered up, that it can take up to a year to get your pistol done. Lately he's restricting the amount of work load he takes in.

·
Premium Member
15,657 Posts
Bill now specializes in the 1911, and his area of specialty is restoration of markings. His finishing work is excellent. He refinished my 1953 Government Model, but I specified a non-original finish - basically a 'brush-blued' look like a pre-war A1. I get a lot of compliments on it including from those who have seen and worked on a lot of guns. I did this because the pistol had already been polished and blued at least once when I got it and the roll mark was weak. Now it looks new; edges and markings are crisp, the slide is tighter and it just looks great. Will I ever get my money out of it? The way old Colts keep going up, it's possible I could, but I doubt I'd ever make any money on it. I'll never sell it anyway, just another mutt in my doghouse full of them.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Bill Adair

That is one beautiful Colt, Mr Saxman...wish it were mine! I've had 2 1911s restored by Bill-superb work. Two more are going in for restoration this month (Colt pre-war revolver and a Woodsman). Bill should be somewhat caught up by now...he wasn't taking on any new projects towards the end of last year.
Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a Remington Rand restored by Bill a couple of years ago. I can highly recommend his work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts