1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After telling myself no more 1911's (at least for a year) I walked into my range shop today and a NIB Colt Gov MK IV Series 70 Stainless had just been put into the display case. I picked her up and she felt ever so good in the hand. The trigger was one of the nicest I have handled on a NIB gun. As a long time customer they are willing to deal and price will be right if I go for it. I have pondered adding a Colt to my gun collection but had not thought about it this soon.

Current 1911's are two Springer 9mm's, one Kimber Custom II, one S&W Basic Stainless with mods, and one Springer TRP.

1911's seem to be the guns that really shoot well in my hands.

Well, the Colt is on hold until tomorrow when I say ya or nay.

Any advice on this potential purchase (pro or con) before I add this to my 1911 collection?

Thanks.

Be Safe, Shoot Well.:rock:

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
Just look it over real good and make sure it doesn't have any of the anomalies people have been reporting here (off-center spring tunnel cut, dust cover rubbing, uneven mating of slide and frame at rear, crooked rollmarks, run-over polishing). If everything checks out bring her home, and be sure to post some pictures!

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
dsk:

thanks for the heads up. she seemed good on initial look over but will do a real thorough job when i go back in after work tomorrow. i will field strip it and check her over well before going with a "ya". if i see any problems it will be a no go.

i've read so many encouraging and supportive things about the colt 1911 70 series it is a bummer some may be coming out with problems. hopefully this one is a winner.

oh....she looks exactly like the one you recently posted pics of in another thread here.....a real nice looking gun to my eyes.

how do these guns shoot?:scratch:

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine shoots really very well for a stock gun with "ok" sights. I would say better than most mass produced 1911's. Better than my kimber, that is for sure.

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
They shoot nice, but I think I must have fatter hands than I used to because a stock 1911 like this bites my hand something awful.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks.....the guys at the range have nothing but good to say about the older 70 series....so wondered about the new ones in relation to quality and accuracy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
dsk said:
Just look it over real good and make sure it doesn't have any of the anomalies people have been reporting here (off-center spring tunnel cut, dust cover rubbing, uneven mating of slide and frame at rear, crooked rollmarks, run-over polishing).
I'm starting to shop for my first 1911, and will be looking at current production Combat Commanders. Could someone explain specifically how to check for an off-center spring tunnel cut? Not familiar with 1911 anatomy, is this for the recoil sping?

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
Look at the front of the slide where the recoil spring plug goes. On many new Colts this hole has been drilled off-center.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
had a day's delay but will check out the COLT tonight. i'll see how she looks both inside and out. then it will be ya or nay on the deal. i would really like to add this one to the collection but we will see.

thanks for all the help on this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
dsk said:
Look at the front of the slide where the recoil spring plug goes. On many new Colts this hole has been drilled off-center.
Ok, that will be easy enough to check. On the dust cover rubbing, is this something that can be seen/felt when handling a new pistol, or does one have to shoot it for a while to see an unusual wear pattern developing?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Careful, don't install the perminant "idiot scratch" while reassembling YOUR NEW GUN. You know you're going to buy it, just admit it!

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
scott: you got me.:biglaugh:

at this point i am going to have to find something really bad on to keep me from taking her.

i have perfected the "avoid the idiot scratch thing" (don't ask why i needed to) by using a strong thin piece of metal to move the pin back as i drop the slide stop into place. i then just push the slide stop straight down with very light pressure and she drops right in. :cool: works great for me.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I need to find a good tool for this purpose. I've been trying to use an Exacto blade, but it keeps bending. Any ideas? :scratch: Something I can keep on my bench and one in my field bag. And one in my car, and one in my wallet, and one in my nightstand.........

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i had been using the thin blade on my mini swiss army knife but have lately used the tip of my S&W carry knife. strong enough to move the pin back yet small enough to allow the slide stop to line up. i pull the blade up as i drop the slide stop down......drops right in, or into place to be pushed in with slight downward pressure. no slide stop slips at all since i started doing that.

whoa...just read your post again....that would be one heck of a lot of knives laying around.......:hrm:

somebody ought to design/invent this "custom" tool and make a bunch of $$$$$ off of us all.

or, makers should just etch a design into the frame that already has the idiot mark
incorporated into it. we would just etch it some more each time we stripped the gun.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Small pocket knife. Hummmm.....Why didn't I think of that. I'm use to carrying around a BIG pocket knife everywhere. I guess my tip would work too. Sometimes I cannot see the forest for the trees. :dope:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I made the mistake of putting the "idiot scratch" on my gun when I bought it. I didn't know any better.:bawling: Its over and done with now.. *shrug*

·
Registered
817 Posts
Don't feel bad HangEmHigh. My XSE has the necessary idiot scratch too. My worry is the Caspian I'm building for my Dad right now. It's going to be his Christmas present, out of my control. I'm sure he won't take it apart, but I worry about my sometimes idiot (scratch) brother not knowing about how to avoid it. When I give it to him, I'm going to give Dad and brother a lesson on avoiding and what an idiot scratch is. Knowing my brother, he won't be able to keep his hands off this 1911.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts