1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so, I wasn't sure if I should post this in the long arms or gunsmithing forum. So, if this needs to be moved then I apologize.

Anyways, I have a PSL that I love dearly and take good care of. Only light ball ammo, flush with water after being shot, immediately clean immaculately when I'm done with it at the range. Recently, it's developed this weird problem that is throwing me for a loop. The gun's functioned PERFECT since I got it, but after the last range trip, the bolt locked in the forward position and doesn't want to release. I basically have to smack the handle with a rubber mallet to get it to release. Last night, I stripped it down and coated everything with any sort of metal wear with white lithium grease and worked the action about fifty times. Now, it just takes a VERY strong tug to rack the bolt. I haven't taken it back out to the range just to be safe. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i might just be having a really dumb moment, but whats a psl?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Wildfire, he's referring to a Romanian PSL-54c, an AK variant that fires 7.62x54R ammo. As far as your issue goes, I would wager that you've got yourself a piece of metal (i.e. spent primer) rolling around inside the trigger group. I had an SKS completely lockup on me from that. I've also had a friend who's AR did the same thing. Tear it all the way down, shake it out, and then lube it as you normally would. See if you can't get something out of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Examine the bolt and trunnion for excessive or new wear marks. I would remove the bolt from the carrier and try to simulate lockup. Next, if you have a go gauge or dummy round, place it in the bolt while doing this. I shouldn't have to say this, but don't use a live round.

If there are no hang ups and no evidence of wear using just the bolt, examine the carrier for anything unusual. Does the carrier move freely without the bolt in place? Does the carrier excessively contact the hammer?

This should get you started in the right direction.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after doing what you guys suggested, I couldn't find any problem. The bizarre thing is that once I removed the bolt from the carrier, it locked up once more. I gave it a good tug and then it slid free and moved great. Added the bolt and it's smooth as silk. It actually is moving on the rails better than it was before. I'm totally confused. :biglaugh:

Anyways, thanks for the responses. This thing is my favorite toy for shouting matches at the range. I've yet to have someone bring something louder. I'm just waiting for some jerk to bring a .50 bmg though. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
15,726 Posts
There had to be something in the gun restricting bolt movement. Did you pull the handguard and inspect the gas block and gas tube? How about the receiver rails all the way to the rear trunion? Something was there and you moved it, but it might still be in the gun. I wouldn't be surprised what you find in a PSL - could be anything.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Remove everything and check your rails with nothing but carrier. If carrier moves freely on rails add bolt to carrier and try again. Still nothing, then add piston & try again ect ect ect.
Before you can fix something you need to identify the problem. Look for unusual wear & don't overlook the end of the piston in the gas tube either.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
thanks Tonimus, havent heard of that one

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
To add to Tonimus' comment. If you're blowing primers on an AR...you might have a gas pressure problem. don't know about the gun being discussed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, since this is an AK type rifle and I'm not nearly as comfortable doing more than a field strip for cleaning as I am with my AR, does anyone have a source with some details on how to strip it down for a better look? Something worries me about removing more than the gas tube, dust cover and bolt carrier.

Also, I was wondering if it was something binding in the gas tube. I cleaned that extremely thoroughly and really spit-shined it. Nothing that I saw. It would lock up when the bolt would rotate in and press against the chamber. The rails themselves are totally clear of all obstructions and the trigger group (along with everything around it) is clear as well.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Maybe carbon build up in the gas piston?

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
You must be done decorating your AR for Christmas already. BTW I really like your video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mEOG8Yu6M
No AR. M1A's and bolt guns though! Thanks for calling me an idiot though, was just using what you guys say in defense of AK et. al., and I get called an idiot. Nice.

To me it sounds like something was obviously binding, check springs and burrs :p.

·
Banned
863 Posts
No AR. M1A's and bolt guns though! Thanks for calling me an idiot though, was just using what you guys say in defense of AK et. al., and I get called an idiot. Nice.

To me it sounds like something was obviously binding, check springs and burrs :p.
Oh, I must of posted the wrong link. My bad :)

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Oh, I must of posted the wrong link. My bad :)

Yes, your "bad". Take a month off to think about calling out other members and calling them idiots. If and when you come back, you will not get a second chance.

Art

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Noklue3- thanks...I didn't have a dog in that fight. But something didn't feel right about that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for link to the PSL manual, but I have one of those. Stripping that far isn't a problem. When it's broken down like that, it seems all clear. I don't imagine it would be burrs on anything. Can't feel any, anyways. Also, it would lock up without the recoil spring in place as well.

I cleaned the pistol with a toothbrush after letting it soak in some solvent (piston, not toothbrush) and then lubed it up real well. That didn't seem to help either. I've run both finger and toothbrush through the rails and inspected every inch of bolt and bolt carrier.

Also, yes, it's very easy to disassemble and make work. That's why I'm kinda confounded as to what it is. But it's moving perfectly now after applying extra lithium grease and working the action about 50 times. For those who have helped, I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts