1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this to document a piece of history that some of you may find of interest.

Today a friend brought me his neighbors 1911, who wanted it cleaned. The gun came from his father who he remembers having it when he was a kid 60 or so years ago. He intends to give it to his son and the gun is not for sale.

It is a Black Army Ser no. 465xxx that Springfield Research said went to the US Post Office in 1932. It is not at all original and these are some of the things I noted.

1. Barrel "Colt 45 Auto" above the LHS lug without any marking on the underside in front of the lug, nor on thelugs..
2. The Colt Verified Proof at the usual spot of the trigger guard.
3. The Ser no 465 over xxx behind the firing pin stop on the slide. With the mirror image of the numbers in the Firing pin stop itself

There was also a Series 70 type slide stop which the current recalls replacing himself a while back and Keyes grips. /Ken

·
Administrator
75,210 Posts
The Verified Proof mark means that at some point it was sent back to Colt for rebuilding. At that time owners could send their pistols to Colt and have them rebuilt to like-new.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not seen any that have been sent back to Colt and have had the slide, serialized to match the frame. From the barrel I am thinking mid/late -30's. I also forgot to mention on the first post the heart shaped cut-outs had the tips relieved/rounded a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts