1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So whats the story behind the black barrel Hi powers?
I picked one up recently but don't really know that much about it.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Andy,

It sounds to me that you MKII is was built in 1985 (PV date code) - correct?
For whatever reason, a lot of military contract 1985 MKIIs were made with black barrels.
While the black barrel is an interesting feature, I'm not sure why they did it, and I'm not sure why they stopped.
If I recollect correctly, members Submoa, OIF2 and Chuntaro all have one.
Maybe they can provide more information.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Burgs

Yes its a 1985, i was fortunate enough to acquire mine from Chuntaro. Love the look of the black barrel but never really understood how it came to be.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Don't know the reason for it, but I have one I bought new in November of '85 (manufactured in '85.) The barrel doesn't really look black - the whole gun looks olive-drab green or grey, depending on what light you look at it under.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
MkII and MkIIS BHPs are just plain Kool :D

Matte black appears to be the most common...though some received black paint over Parkerize, others were dark grey and Koolest were the greyish/OD...like yours :cool:

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I suspect but am unable to prove the barrels were a spec from a large contract buyer. The triple serial number is really not needed by the sporting consumer. The political winds changed and the contract went south. This is my theory.

Colt, before they switched to stainless barrels, would blue/black oxide their barrels then polish the blue off the chamber area. Black oxide does offer a little more protection than carbon in the white.

When the mk ll was new in the American market, I did not appreciate their utility appearance. That would change. My current favorite is this with the Ted Yost rear sight and dovetailed front sight. The shooting side of me would only allow me to keep one original and that is the one the OP acquired when I offered it in another venue.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Burgs

Yes its a 1985, i was fortunate enough to acquire mine from Chuntaro. Love the look of the black barrel but never really understood how it came to be.

Thanks,

Andy
Yes, I am familiar with that MII, in which that case you got taken.
Taken right to the winner's circle, that it. That is one sweet MKII.

Mine is an '88, so I don't have the cool black barrel. I still love it though!

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Burgs, I like the gold bead you added the the front sight, thats a good idea.
Does it make a noticble difference?

Andy

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chuntaro

I figured it would be something like that, I really like it but am struggling with the desire to have it tweeked a little vrs leabving it alone.

Andy

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Give into temptation. That is what I usually do and and did with mk ll black barrel number one.

And number two:

And number three as was seen first. Can you imagine an heir remarking with ingratitude that these are not the original sights. I am unable to imagine that. I like the Cooper rule about sights and triggers. In the hi power platform the reliability aspect is there until some tinkerer messes it up.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts

Andy
Mr. Burgs had a different experience with his gold bead. I have a good relationship with mine on this Garthwaite build with heinie all black rear. We are very close.

Some folks do them ball shaped. Some do them disk shaped. Some do them flat and inset.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts

Andy
Andy,

The round gold bead front sight made a HUGE difference to me - as in when subject to direct sunlight there was so much reflected glare that I couldn't tell where the top and sides of the front sight went to. I no longer use it, having replaced it with a NiteSiters dot. (I need help finding my front sights)

Attachments

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
In all fairness, I think it is worth pointing out, Mr. Burgs gold bead came from a jewelry store and was installed on the smallish mk ll front sight. It displaced much of the black and the black was flat, non serrated and the blade was not cut at an angle. You can see on my front sight, the blade is cut at an angle, there is plenty of black remaining and I can still see white light on the sides of the black. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a gold bead front on my Wiley clapp Ruger GP100 matched to a novak rear.
I Like it so far based on the limited range time I have had with it. But it is a large from t sight with ample black around the the edges. Might just be the excuess I need to get that riger out to the range again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I recall purchasing a commercial mkII on my return from ft. Knox in 1985, I believe it had a bright barrel. This is an Israeli return mkII.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts