1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to report a very positive experience (so far) with Black Hard Chrome.

I always liked the reports of durability associated with hard chrome, but still wanted a black or blue colored weapon. So when I ordered my RRA Elite Commando last year, I asked them to get it with this particular finish. The results so far have been everything I could have hoped for.

So far:

1. About 500 holster presentations, and over a thousand rounds through the pistol

2. Holsters used are Mitch Rosen belt slide and ARG.

3. No visible wear yet. Finish is still a beautiful matte black.

Here's one picture. The rest can be found in the "Other 1911's" part of the forum, along with a fuller report of the pistol at http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000216.html

------------------
Liberty45 Sends

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That really looks nice. I also like the durability of the hard chrome finish, but have never seen the black version. I am going to change my RRA Limited Match to that finish. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can they polish chrome finishes to be shiny?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Very nice looking.
Does RRA do the hard chroming?
Or do they send it out?
If they send it out, do you
know who does it? Also, what
is the cost for just the slide?

Thank you.
===========================

<><> Raspy <><>

[This message has been edited by raspy (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that RRA subcontracts with Accurate Plating & Weaponry for their chrome. I do know that AP&W does offer black chrome.

Their website (AP&W) states that only a matte finish is offered.

RRA charged me about 160$ for the entire gun to be chromed. I assume that doing just the slide would be about half that, but you'd need to check with RRA.

------------------
Liberty45 Sends

·
Registered
499 Posts
Udate on Black Chrome

Liberty 45
Would you give us a new update on the RRA with Black Chrome?
I am going over their next week to have the final contact with them on my RRA's order and I would like to here more about the Black Chrome and how it is holding up.
Thank You

·
Registered
967 Posts
Liberty,

Tell me more about this black hard chrome. I've been considering Boron Carbide as a finish for my SS 1991, but wouldn't mind changing my mind. I had even thought of a chrome underlayer with the BC overcoat, for a dark "tactical" finish.

Also, I wasn't able to get the link to work. Any other pictures avenues would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I couldn't get the link to work either. I would like to have one of my East German Makarovs done in black hard chome. I have a Kel-Tec P-40 that I had the slide and barrel hard chomed on and it's very durable and looks great.

7th

·
Registered
474 Posts
Recently talked to Deb at Springfield's Custom Shop,because I was considering black chrome...she advised against it,said that repeated heating of the finish causes it to start to discolor.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Folks, be advised that while black chrome may be a decent finish, it is NOWHERE near as durable as hard chrome.

From the APW site (which does black chrome finishes):

Black Chrome has many of the same properties as regular chrome. However, in changing the plated deposit from a Light Grey color to Jet Black, we diminish two major properties of regular chrome, hardness and abrasion resistance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My gun was black chromed on most areas and chromed on some. The wear seems similar to how bluing wears off. But unlike bluing, it only wore off on the contact areas with the plastic holster. I can see no wear on the grip and slide area in contact with the hands (and sweat). This is a range gun that has seen several months matches already plus a daily handling with dry fire.

Make sure you've seen the actual black chrome work of a company before sending in your gun. I've seen some friends' guns improperly black chromed. It started chipping at random areas like ordinary paint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts