1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share a picture of a friend's CQB with all black Armor Tuff finish and a mag chute added by John Harrison of Precision Gun Works. Gun is about a year old, used mostly for IDPA. There's a little wear near the muzzle on the slide from holster use.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Nice Ricky. Would you agree the finish looks less shiny in person versus photos? When I saw a CBQ recently I liked the armortuff a whole lot better than I thought I would because it did not have that gloss that appears in much photography from flash reflection.

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The AT finish is definitely non-glossy appearance in real life. I took the pic with a cheapo camera and without flash, just morning sunrise :) I really like the finish and the gun, wish it was mine. Shiny crow guns are not my style.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice pic Ricky T...I definitely think that the all Black is better than the green/black on the CQB...Other than the finish...Wilson pistols are all the same...They are awesome...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Hello. I have to admit that the black Armor Tuff is becoming a favorite finish to me as well. I've been a die hard Les Baer fan for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I still feel the TRS is a great pistol. But my all black Protector seems to shoot itself. So, I hereby take back all the negative thing's I've said about Wilson in general, and Armor Tuff in particular. This pistol is the best shooting 1911 I have owned,Period. I must admit a previous CQB I owned was Armor-Tuffed in the old fashion( without parkerization), and showed alot of wear quickly. My current Protector could almost pass as new, with only minor finish wear along the beavertail, were it rubs the inside of the frame, and in the magwell. I am officially on the Wilson band wagon. I don't know how to reduce the size of the pic's I have to post them. :(

·
Registered
544 Posts
E5MC,

Welcome to the bottom of the board!

I have owned several L.B. guns and can honestly say that there was an issue with each one.

Now I am solidly in Wilson's corner with the exception of one Heinie build.

The Armor-Tuff finish holds up very well for my use and I do agree that at times these Wilson's seem to shoot all by themselves.

·
Registered
836 Posts
E5, are the newer wilsons using a different armortuff? I heard negatives about the finish in the past, that it wore down too fast. Is this not the case now?

·
Registered
544 Posts
matteblack,

The original Armor-Tuff that was introduced in the late 90's has seen improvements over the years and does have some better qualities to it now.

It's like any other finish out there now, highly arguable.

·
Registered
462 Posts
matteblack said:
E5, are the newer wilsons using a different armortuff? I heard negatives about the finish in the past, that it wore down too fast. Is this not the case now?
There was a time when Wilson Combat was applying the Armor-Tuff on the steel directly. They found that the coaating would wear off quickly. Wilson Combat changed the process by parkerizing the steel before applying the Armor-Tuff coating (which I believe is how they do it now).

I'm not sure when this change over happened, but I'd guess that it was sometime in 2001-2002...call Wilson Combat for details.

I also heard that some Armor-Tuff colors were not as wear resistant as others; don't know if there's any truth to that claim...

Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ugabulldog81 said:
How 'bout them dawgs!
Sorry dude, To hell with them. :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
E5MC,CYA, I agree that Wilsons are so smooth that they almost shoot themselves...Of all the 1911's that I have racked the slide on, Wilsons with Armor Tuff all seem to be the smoothest...like they slide along ball bearings...and back to the finish, I think if I had to select only one finish it would be a Black Teflon type finish like the Armor Tuff...It is good looking, "stealthy", and practical...

·
Registered
841 Posts
i agree but mine does show some holster wear towards the muzzle. You can't see it in this pic but thought i'd show it off anyway...

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
The holster on the left (OWB) is indeed the DeSantis 01CL model. Known as the Cocked & Locked :

http://www.desantisholster.com/1cl.html

I got it at my local store for $40. Its a pretty nice holster for the money. Very detailed and well you can go to the link above to read more about it. I use it now that winter is here because I wear a huge winter coat. For summer carry forget it - it won't do with just a t-shirt. I "heard" that this was the original holster for the FBI HRT but they went with the Askins style (HRT Special as they call it) instead. The molding of this O1CL seems to be a lot better quality than their regular line of OWB holsters. Very sturdy holster...

The holster on the right is a Sparks #1H Heritage IWB. Works pretty good and it sits really deep in the pants for concealment.

Let me know if you have other questions - sorry didn't mean to change the topic

·
Registered
841 Posts
here's a decent pic of my CQB in the DeSantis (not all the detailed molding came out)...

I feel that the Sparks is the holster that started to wear away the Armor-Tuff finish towards the muzzle. The DeSantis is snug but the Sparks is even more tight just because... The CQB fits both holsters like a glove...I guess there really isn't a way to "stop" holster wear so I've just learned to deal with it. My CQB is my carry gun so it should be expected as I have done thousands of draws from both holsters for practice.

Don't get me wrong - the finish is tuff but within time it will wear after heavy holster use. Mine isn't as bad as i'm making it but it does show some wear around the muzzle. That's the only spot I can find wear...

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
ol1911,

The DeSanti's appears to have a thumb break. If so how long have you owned this holster? How well does the thumb break work?

I've been looking for a decent holster for my 1911 with a thumb break, but cannot find a maker with a decent one that works well.

As an aside, my favorite holster used to be a Kramer belt scabbard with a thumb break, but I believe they've gotten too big for their pants, because its like pulling teeth to get them to build a holster with a thumb break.

Further, I believe that they don't have the truly skilled labor on hand capable of creating a functional thumb break. The last thumb break they built for me (which tacked on another $40.00 to the price) didn't even come close to working properly and I was forced to return it.

Thanks for the details.

DR

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DesertRat:
FYI, Gordon Davis, Lou Alessi, Matt Del Fatti make several excellent holsters with thumb break strap.

·
Registered
841 Posts
DesertRat said:
ol1911,

The DeSanti's appears to have a thumb break. If so how long have you owned this holster? How well does the thumb break work?

I've been looking for a decent holster for my 1911 with a thumb break, but cannot find a maker with a decent one that works well.

As an aside, my favorite holster used to be a Kramer belt scabbard with a thumb break, but I believe they've gotten too big for their pants, because its like pulling teeth to get them to build a holster with a thumb break.

Further, I believe that they don't have the truly skilled labor on hand capable of creating a functional thumb break. The last thumb break they built for me (which tacked on another $40.00 to the price) didn't even come close to working properly and I was forced to return it.

Thanks for the details.

DR
I'm not a fan of the TB for a concealment holster but bought this one because I wanted to try out OWB under a vest. My old job required me to use a holster with a TB so I'm use to drawing from one. The TB works fine for me - I've had the holster since summer but haven't really used it until this month (as it is getting colder). I like it. Its fast to draw and the TB snaps right off. For the money you can't beat it.

I also agree that Matt Del Fatti makes a mean TB holster as well. I have one for my retired HK P7M8. But if you order from him it will take at least 12wks or so.

What are you looking for in a TB Holster?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts