1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys help me find a source for blueing stainless? I know somebody out there is still doing it, I just don't know who. I had some stainless handguns done years ago at Clinton River Gun Service in Mt. Clemens, MI. Two of them are personal guns and the finish is really holding up well, it is a nice matte black. They are out of the biz and I need to find somebody else. Spray-on-bake-on blacking out of stainless won't do, I want the metal itself black.

Thanks
Ned

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
Ned,

I believe the process is chrome sulphide.
Robbie Baarkman of Robar Companies in the Phx area offers this.

Chuck

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ned, Kimber is blackening SS frames & matching the black on their carbon steel slides for some of the Classic Custom guns. Is that the finish you are after, & might their Custom Shop do the work for you?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Hi Ned. I agree with Pistolwrench in his choice of Robar. I have a guy who does all my blueing, and he also does SS, but if you want a primo job from a company with a good rep, go with Robar. I don't know if Kimber would do it or not, but I'm sure they could. Who knows, you may even be able to find someone in your area by phoning some gun shops. This is a relatively new process and takes more time than blueing, but maybe some locals have learned to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts