1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a SA Black Stainless that the finish is worn badly on. I talked to Springfield and they want $175 to refinish the gun. Instead of refinishing it black I started to sand off the black finish and was going to bead blast the gun. Do I have to sand off all of the finish, or will the bead blasting take care of it for me? Also, there are a couple of scratches on the gun that I would like smoothed out. Do I need to sand those smooth or will the beads take care of that also? Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't have the answer to your question but since I have a Black Stainless myself I was wondering about the finish durability when I traded for it .
Is the wear on yours from a holster ? How many rounds through it ? Any other problems ? Sorry for all yhe questions but mine isn't going to be a safe queen , and I guess if mine gets looking too bad I'll just remove all the black and have another all stainless 1911 .
thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my used and I am not sure how many rds have been put through it. Most of the wear was on it before I bought it, but from what I have read, holsters will cause the surface to wear. Now that I have the pistol running very reliably I was going to start using it as one of my carry guns so I figured a nice matte finish would work well for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts