1911Forum banner

Black Stainless Steel Finish on Loaded SA

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ashop1al 
#1 ·
I spotted a black/stainless SA Loaded today in a gun shop, and was struck by how beautiful the finish is. I assume it's a coating on top of stainless steel? What comes to mind immediately is the durability issue: how durable is that coating? If it scratches easily, the stainless would show through pretty vividly. Anybody have extended experience with this finish?

#2 ·
I've got one, and it's in good shape so far. It's new, though, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. Kimber also makes a black stainless called the Eclipse.

One thing that is nice, even if the finish is gouged or scratched, the base metal is stainless, so you still won't have the corrosion issues like you would with carbon steel.

#3 ·
The Black SS finish is fairly new so I can't say I have extended experience with the finish. The black is parkerized (I think) and has been used on other SA pistols and has proven to be reasonable durable. I think any gun that is in and out of a holster constantly will suffer finish wear. All in all, I believe it to be a good finish. It is a beautiful gun.

#4 ·
I dont think you can parkerize stainless steel. I could be wrong though.

I was under the understanding that the black SS finish (I have the 9152 as well) is an oxide coating, not a phosphate coating like parkerizing.

I know that this and the kimber are not the only blackened stainless finishes. My Sig 229 (and everyone elses) has an SS slide but a black finish. Robar also offers a blackened finish for your SS gun. Maybe they can offer some advice on the durability?

Brian

#5 ·
Just bought one the black stainless loaded pistols last Sat. I asked about the durability of the fininsh but no one seemed to have any advice or history on it.

I have heard that the Kimber Eclipse wears rather poorly but decided to get the SA black anyway. Beautifull piece! We will see soon enough how it wears as I am going to carry it every day & give my Gold Cup a break.

A little wear gives it character anyway.

#6 ·
Robar also offers a blackened finish

The Robar finish is gloss black and smooth as silk. My TGO1 has it and it came with a certificate from Robar to include a lifetime guarantee, excluding wear. I would assume if it is Robar a certificate would have been in the box.

#7 ·
Sorry, I didnt mean to say that Robar was who finished the BSS pistols. I was just saying that they also have a stainless blackening process. I think I may have that put on my custom 1911 once I get it finished (well, I suppose I have to start it first).

Brian

#8 ·
:) Well I just bought a Black Stainless Steel Loaded Model. It is almost too pretty to shoot but I have all ready put several hundred rounds through it is a little over a week.

No scratches on it yet. It will be interesting to see how it will hold up.

Also have a full size loaded parkerized. It has held up real nice.

Have tried a variety of ammo in it and have had several fail to feeds with Wolf ammo. Everything else has fed without failure.

Sure like the Bo Mar adjustable night sights on it also. My parkerized with fixed Novak night sights shoots about 10" low at 25 yards and I am stuck with it unless I send it back to SA.

Looking forward to a lot of good shooting with this new model.

#9 ·
Finally shot mine last Sun morn. All went very well. Except low POI which seems to be a common problem luckily a few clicks on the Bomar rear sight remedied that in a hurry.

It fed everything I offered (100 230 gr hardball & 100 200 gr speer lawman semi) and spit it out with authority when done. The trigger is a tad heavy so I guess I will convert the MSH to a standard & install a 19 or 20 # hammer spring as I cannot find anyone who offers a lighter spring for use with the ILS.

The finish & machining are both flawless (inside & out) so I am overall very happy with this pistol. We will see how the outside holds up to daily carry as I replace my Gold Cup with it this week & for awhile. I do expect some wear from holstering daily but will report anything unusual.

I don't know if this SA can ever equal the fondness I have for the Colt (Ser 70 Natl Match that I paid $210. NIB 30 years ago), but it is growing on me fast. Just had to have a stainless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.