1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the Wilson Combat mags that are finished in black? Are they painted, or is it some other kind of finish? Is the finish even, or does it seem kinda blotchy? I can't find any information on Wilson Combat's website. The reason I'm asking is that I bought a couple of black Wilson Combat 47DABs and the finish on them seems kinda "swirled".

TIA

Ghost

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have one of the black finished Wilson mags. The finish on mine is very even and nicely done. From my understanding, it is the same finish that the put on their pistols.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two that I have look like black chrome, but it seems to get fingerprints on it quite easily. Its not like a deep, flat black like a blueing job, but more of a shiny black chrome finish. Anyone have any pics?

Ghost

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I have found that the Armor Tuff coated mags actually cause the followers to be very "sticky" inside the tubes, and don't slide very well at all - contrary to Wilson's advertising. I can take the same mag spring/follower out of the black mags, and put them in my silver mags and they move up and down just fine.

YMMV. I prefer the silver mags.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed the same thing about the "stickiness". I was wondering about that. Do you think Wilson Combat will swap the ones I have for some regular 47Ds?

Ghost

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got off the phone with Wilson Combat. They told me that the black mags are not Armor-Tuf, but some sort of oxide finish. They said that the mags start life as stainless 47D bodies that get coated. I'm just going to try them at the range. Report will follow soon.

Ghost

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have some older black mags that are Armor Tuff. That finish scratches off easily and looks pretty bad. It is jet black, though. I also have some of the newer oxide finish. They look like the "black chrome" described above. This finish seems to be much more durable than the Armor Tuff and wears much better. I haven't noticed the "stickiness" problem and all these mags seem to work fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, that makes two of us that are not crazy. I could have sworn that in their 2003 catalog, it says that the #47DAB mags are Armor-Tuf coated, not oxide coated. The funny thing is that one seems to be that flat, jet black coating, and the rest look like black chrome. Now that I've been looking at them for several days, I'm starting to like how they look. Man, I really need to go to the range :D :biglaugh:

Ghost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts