1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed the Teaser... Set to open on Jan 18 2002

This LOOKS AWESOME!
This Book is a Must Read, but the Movie, if it's anything like the book will be a MUST SEE!

Requires Windows Media Player... http://mediaframe.yahoo.com/launch?lid=rnv-56-p.965777-65584,rnv-100-p.965778-65584,wmv-56-p.965780-65584,rnv-300-p.965779-65584,wmv-100-p.965781-65584,wmv-300-p.965782-65584& p=movies&f=1807579301&.spid=1807579301&.dist=Columbia%20Pictures

Also, you can go to the movie link http://www.spe.sony.com/movies/blackhawkdown/

[This message has been edited by jaydee (edited 11-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The book was amazing. I will definately see the movie. Just hopefully they will stay true to the book and not adapt their own versions of what happened.

·
Administrator
72,152 Posts
I've been waiting to hear when it would come out as well. BTW I head that a movie based on Ghost Soldiers (the Bataan rescuers) is supposed to be released sometime. Any scoop on that?

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
655 Posts
I KNOW Hollywood will screw this movie up. Let's just see HOW much they FU the book. Knowing them, it will probably will even have a love scene in it,

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
The movie was originally set to come out early November, then moved to March 2002. I hope it will actually come out in January, can't wait. I spoke with Mark Bowden, the author of the book. He's helping out with the screenplay, so it should be close to the book. Some of the actual Rangers will be in the movie as extras.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is an online version that I believe came out before the book: http://www.philly.com/packages/somalia/nov16/default16.asp

Be aware! Once you start reading it or the book you won't be able to quit.

If I understand correctly, Jerry Bruckheimer is the producer and Ridley Scott (Alien, Bladerunner, Gladiator) is the director. Mark Bowden - the author of the book - did the first draft of the script, but it went through at least two others for rewrites, so who knows what Hollywood has done to that. Also after what Bruckheimer did with Pearl Harbor, I wondering how well they will follow the book.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have read somewhere that Mel Gibson was directing a movie for the book "We Were Soldiers Once ....... and Young" That one has the potential to be a REAL good one!!!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I would second Ricky T's observation: there appears to be enough genuine SOCOM involvement in this project to give cause for at least some optimism.

That having been said, the industry's track record makes it all-but-impossible to predict what may actually make it into the theaters. Should be interesting -- even for a Black Hawk pilot.

Chuck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Most people don't realize how much the U.S. Army is backing the film. This summer, I was at a match and ended up talking to a Night Stalker pilot. He advised that he an dother pilots as well as actual Army BlackHawks and AH-6/MH-6's were participating the in filming. They had been filmed on location as well as on the range so that they could be "blue screened" into the movie. If the Army is backing the movie that much, I think the script would have to be accurate.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
I saw the release date as Dec 28.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Originally posted by BillD:
I saw the release date as Dec 28.

The Dec. 28th date is for the limited openings in NYC and LA.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I was thrilled when I saw the poster. Then I saw "Jerry Bruckheimer Presents." Groan... But then I saw that Ridley Scott is directing, which raised my spirits a bit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
any place i can download the trailer?

I've seen the trailer on my dad's computer (DSL) and it looked great...

but on my crappy 56k it looks horrid - pictures are very choppy.

I'd like to DL it so I can watch it smoothly..

Anybody know where?

Phil the SP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts