1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, so I'm not sure if I should be starting a new thread just yet. However, I haven't found any threads dealing with Blackhawk holsters.

I got a very special 1911A1 from my Step-father, and it didn't have a scratch on it. I went to get a holster the other day and was looking at some leather ones. One of the salesmen told me the Blackhawk hard plastic holsters are best. I told him my intent was to use it as a concealed carry. He said the leather ones would scar it pretty bad. Well, the first time I pulled it out of the blackhawk holster there was a scar on the top left of the slide.

So, what are y'alls thoughts? Is leather the best? Plastic?

·
Registered
74 Posts
During my research on holsters I read a lot of product reviews online at the major online vendors (Midway, Brownells, etc). A couple of reviews indicated that holsters like Blackhawks had scratched their 1911s.....I have two holsters now, one full leather and another that is Kydex on the outside but leather lined. Both have put wear on my blued pistol, but no scratches.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
First ANY holster, no matter what its made of WILL cause holster wear, no if and or buts about it.

That being said, in general plastic holsters will cause extreme wear to "high" points, normally edges/blunt ends, of a weapon.

A poorly fitted leather holster will cause overall wear because the gun is rubbing inside of the holster as it rocks around.

A properly fitted leather holster will also cause wear to the high points, just less then a plastic holster.

Did I mention ANY holster will cause holster wear??

If this gun is special I'd suggest NOT carrying it but rather keeping it for a range gun and carrying something less special and more generic.

·
Premium Member
20,427 Posts
Leather. More comfortable and easier on the pistol. Milt Sparks, Gary Brommeland, Greg Kramer are my favorites. You also need a matching GUN belt for a good combo. Remember...plastic holsters for plastic guns and leather for good 1911's. And next time you are in that gun shop tell the guy he is an idiot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my first 1911, and it belonged to my step-grandfather. Some how he was able to keep it when he retired from the Army in the early 70's. There are a couple pics in the pic thread on page 260.

Anyway, I toyed with the idea of selling my XD40 a couple months ago and was told it was worth about 75-80% of original value due to the wear. This leads me to ask: I'm seeing some beautiful weapons on this site. Does anyone carry them?

For now I suppose I'll carry my S&W BG in my back pocket.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
As the fella's have already said, any holster will cause holster wear.

In the area of non-leather holsters, the BlackHawk holsters are pretty cheap, in every sense of the word. Some have a need for the lock "thingy" the SERPA has. If you are one of those that do it is certainly an option, maybe not the best, but an option.

If you want a kydex holster and don't need the lock (very few holster users need a retention device), some of the better makers are…

Blade-Tech http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php

Comp-Tac http://www.comp-tac.com

Garrett http://www.giholsters.com

Raven http://www.ravenconcealment.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm an aviator, so I'm used to having a serpa attached to my chest.

I suppose I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the help and links.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Like others have said, any holster will cause holster wear.

Serpas aren't very good for concealed carry since they don't hold the pistol tight to your body. As usual sounds like the salesman isn't very knowledgeable if he thinks Serpas are "the best".

If I were to conceal carry a 1911, I would get a leather IWB like a Milt Sparks VersaMax (many leather makers make similar designs), or a good pancake design if you prefer OWB carry.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Honestly? Do not use an heirloom for concealed carry. If you're involved in a shooting, the gun will be impounded during the investigation, and it won't get anywhere near the care you give it. It will not be cleaned, if there's any sweat of blood on it, it will rust, it'll be tossed in a cardboard box where it will rattle around as it's processed, scratching the finish. You get the idea. Buy a plastic gun with no soul for CCW, or a stainless revolver, or something that you can live without if it's not returned. Leave the immortal stuff at home.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
As others have said, leather will generally go a bit easier on your gun's finish. I use holsters from Null, Sparks, and Arratoonian, and the most I've experienced is slight holster wear. We used the Blackhawk Serpa with our M9s in Iraq, and they were very hard on the guns' finish. Personally, I would save the plastic holsters for plastic guns.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I prefer kydex over leather. I have a Sig Sauer Scorpion with the cerakote finish. Cerakote is an available aftermarket finish, so it isn’t the most durable but I still prefer kydex and if it gets wear, so be it. It is a tool and I intend to use it as such. That said I do not carry it daily. It is mainly an open carry option, like campsite, range day, whatever.

I’ll agree with the lot here, ALL holsters will wear a gun and rigid surface on rigid surface more so. I wouldn’t carry that pistol in a holster if it is a sentimental heirloom. Just keep it cased and take it out on range day.

IMO, the best kydex manufacturer, hands down is Kaluban Cloak. Kaluban Cloak > Raven Concelament.

kcloakusa.com. This is a suggestion for your would be carry piece.

-Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts