1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never really studied the knife shape relative to self defense, but it dawned on me that some shapes must be moure useful than others.
Additionally, my knives have been the pocket knife varity [certanly not one hand actions] and I hope you could suggest the more useful one hand actions for self defense.
I plan to carry this knife in my off hand pocket set for easy access.
Any thoughts or suggestions on the above and suggested tatactics would be most useful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are worried about quick access, I wouldn't carry the knife in your off hand pocket. I would get one with a clip that carries in a tip up configuration and carry it in my on hand pocket.

I find knives with a thumb nib on the blade open very quickly, especially Benchmade knives. As soon as you move the blade an 1/8th of an inch it goes limp and opens with a flick of the wrist. The axis lock is very positive so it will not close on your hand.

I like drop point blades. I suppose the tanto style might be better for defense but they look a little bizzare to me but de gustibus non diputandum est. If you like tanto style blades the Gunsight knives look pretty worthy.

http://www.valleymartialarts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_18_131&products_id=1096.

Benchmade makes some good ones also. I like the Mil-Tac folders. they come in both a modified tanto as well as drop point

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't really see the purpose of those Gunsite knives. They look like the might make good utility knives, but lockback folders with no thumbstud do not seem like a good choice for a self-defense knife.

For self defense I would go with bare minimum a folder that can be opened quickly and easily one handed, a fixed blade being the best option. That being said, I do not view knives as self defense tools. That's what guns are for.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Use a combo opener, like a thumbstud AND a hole (Strider makes one), either a large frame lock or axis lock.

Get a lanyard hole. This way when deployed, and you slip it on your wrist, it can't be knocked out of your hand and taken from you.

I like Chris Reeves, Striders, Darrel Ralph, to name my favorites.

That is all.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
If you are worried about deploying your knife quickly, don't use a folder.
Folders are the oh-****-I-am-going-hand-to-hand-for-my-life. Mostly used to open mail.

Try presenting a folder and then try it with a fixed blade. Fixed is much faster.

I carry a folder.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with the others, a fixed blade would work out better and if it has a guard of some kind it will help keep your fingers away from the cutting edge.
folders are all around more handy though.
Chad

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you folks for your help, where do I begin:
1. My off hand is left, actually my strong hand as I am left handed, but R eye dominant; learned to shoot R very comfortable many years ago.
2. Obviously a fixed blade is easier to deploy, but ease of carry makes it difficult for me to invision such. Please feel free to enlighten me.
3. You may be right, if I need a knife, it's probably too late, but I'm a Boy Scout and try to be prepared.
4. Thanks for the combo opener thought, great.
What about blade shape? Tanto makes sense, but perhaps a more spear point penetrates and cuts better; yes or no?

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
golfer1 said:
2. Obviously a fixed blade is easier to deploy, but ease of carry makes it difficult for me to invision such. Please feel free to enlighten me.
QUOTE]

A small (4") blade is not that hard to conceal or carry. It's easier than carrying a pistol. Not as easy as putting a folder in your pocket but if you are this concerned about the proper style blade, having one you don't have to open is much more defense oriented, no matter what the style.

Or is this just a mental exercise?
Nothing wrong with that.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Have you looked at the HIDEAWAY knife? It is small and has a powerful cutting stroke. They have several designs and ways to attach the small sheaths to your belt or clothing.

You can slip this knife into position and shoot both right or left handed and if it fits right, you can do other things and the knife will not fall out of your hand. I have three and love them.

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kid, thanks for your reply.
No, I can't call this a mental exercise, as I am shopping for a knife.
I have and know good hunting knives and what blade shape works best for skinning and cleaning. But I know very little about what blade shape works for self defense and how to open a one hand knife.
A fixed blade makes sense and I certainly will look at what is out there; but, I can not envision it being prctical in my every day use. I am in the onstruction business and, frankly, my pistol is in the truck most of the time as it is just not practical to wear under nail aprons or while carrying 2x4's and such. A knife just seemed like the next best thing.
Please feel free to share your thoughts, and , thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Im Neero said:
That being said, I do not view knives as self defense tools. That's what guns are for.
Given enough time and distance, we'd all prefer guns to knives. But knives are a dangerous threat, and knives are a vital defensive tool when time and distance have disappeared.

That's why our training should provide us with the ability to deal with potentially lethal threats of many types, at many distances.

The notion that because we carry guns, guns are all we need, is a potentially fatal one, and one that fails to recognize the nature of a knife in the hands of someone, good or bad, who knows how to use it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well said Bulldog, as I said earlier, my pistol is usually no with me when I work. Good side is, I probably no who I am working with/around and won't need it.
Still, having another means of defense besides hands makes sense to me.
I have not forgotten my most powerful weapon, my mind and ablilty to think, and will always look for a way out.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
golfer1 said:
Well said Bulldog, as I said earlier, my pistol is usually no with me when I work. Good side is, I probably no who I am working with/around and won't need it.
Still, having another means of defense besides hands makes sense to me.
I have not forgotten my most powerful weapon, my mind and ablilty to think, and will always look for a way out.
In your situation, I wouldn't even worry about a knife if that apron came with a framing hammer.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
BillD said:
In your situation, I wouldn't even worry about a knife if that apron came with a framing hammer.:cool:
Gotta agree with that. You can sharpen the claws if it makes you feel better.... :D

BTW, I'm an electrician in the construction business too. I carry a Strider PT as my edc work tool and keep a Strider AR in my truck. These are tools for me but are there if I need them for defense. Folders can be deployed very fast once you get the knack for it and are much easier to carry. Strider, Chris Reeves, Emerson, Benchmade to name a few are all excellent folders. You just need to find the style you want. But if the $h!t hit the fan, I'd rather have a claw hammer, even a dull one.... :)

·
Banned
976 Posts
While I agree 100% that a fixed blade is better than a folder, a fixed in public is not allowed at work, and concealing it is against the law. But conversely, wearing it openly says you have a knife, and subjects you to a number of other problems.

Whereas a fixed blade is discreet, not even detected at work. Not detected in public, and less of a threat while both in public and at work.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Huevos; your right, sharpen those claws. I know about you electricians though, you always have pointy things in your pouches.
Thanks you guys for your suggestions; I will look for a nib on the blade and possible a 2nd means to deploy, and also at the dropped point models.
Just a thought, but the tanto style looks like it would not pierce as easily ie: through a jacket or heavy clothing, a a spear point might. Any opinions on that please?

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you want something that opens really quickly, take a look at the Emerson and Spyderco knives with the "wave" feature on the blade. It hooks your pocket as you pull it out and opens it. Very very fast when whippin out my carambit or endura. I also prefer the large hole in Spyderco blades versus a thumbstud of sorts, but thats just me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks AgentClark, I have read good things about Spyderco and will take a look at the Wave feature.
I haven't seen a lot of suggestions, as to blade shape for a fighting blade, has anyone read or seen anything about this?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts