1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<><> I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this ammo, in .45 of course. I have a chance to trade for some and would like some feedback on it, good, bad, reliable? Thanks in advance.

Raspy

[This message has been edited by raspy (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have found Blazer to be a good practice ammo. In the 6000+ rounds I have shot of it, I had one round with the slug in wrong such that the round was out of round and would not chamber. I had one other round that had a hard primer.

Wilson Combat does not recommend Blazer or Speer because they don't taper crimp, but I have had no problems shooting the ammo in my Wilson guns. Blazer is not particularly hot, but it does produce a felt recoil similar to shooting 230 gr Hydrashoks and produces a comparable muzzle flash. That is part of the reason I like shooting it is because it behaves a lot like my defense ammo.

Without the crimping, it won't feed well in some guns. Like I said, I have no problems with it.

From www.natchezss.com, I can get a 1000 round case delivered to my door for about $170. Sometimes you can find S&B close to that price and the S&B can be reloaded. I don't reload, so that is not an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<><> DNS, I would be shooting it in a Kimber UC SS aluminum frame, and an all steel Compact. I have had problems with Wolf, FTF, almost every other round. I usually shoot PMC 230gr FMJ, for practice, and carry. Thanks,

Raspy

[This message has been edited by raspy (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Raspy,

I've got almost 1000 rounds of Blazer through my Kimber PRO CDP and about 1500 through my springfield loaded. Both guns LOVE blazer.

My Kimber has an aluminum frame and grooves on the blazer!

Matter of fact, my Springfield won't feed my reloads for some reason. I'm using 200gr SWC's at the moment in my loads and I'm going to try some 230gr Ball next to see if thats the case.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
What ammo certain guns prefer can be an issue of brands and models although in many cases it really is more individualistic. While each .45 should be made to the same standards, they aren't exactly the same and so there are variations in the actual features that are often too minor to not be readily visible, but can affect performance. Even mass produced guns can have their own personalities. Like you said, your guns didn't like Wolf, but I had shot some through two different Kimbers (Ultra Elite and Stainless Target) and it worked fine (but smelled funny). Other people's guns sometimes seem to hang up on the lacquer coating. Go figure.

Buy a box or two and try it out and see what comes of it. If it works, then consider buying in bulk for some additional savings. Actually, a good idea is to buy a box or two of a variety of types of ammo and see what you like, what you don't. One of the reasons I like Blazer is that the felt recoil is comparable to when I shoot 230 gr Hydrashoks and it has a similar (somewhat pronounced) muzzle flash. Blazer does not appear to be loaded particularly hotter based on chrono speeds, but it feels like it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<><> Thanks all, I'm going to trade for the Blazer. Then I'm going to try a couple of boxes of S&B. I understand that could be had fairly reasonable. I have already tried a bunch of different ammo, as I said Wolf is the only one I've had problems with. Also I don't reload, but I save the brass and trade it off.

Thanks again,
Raspy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts