1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone here ever had any experiences with Blazer 230 grain FMJ Ball ammo?If yes,what do you think of it if used for defense in the streets or even for home?Are they any good?
Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I used some. Worked OK, no malfunctions. I would not use any FMJ loads for defense unless no other choice remained, all my defensive loads are a premium JHP (usually Federal HydroShock) in the 230 gr weight range.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Shot lots and lots

if your pistol isn't a finicky feeder, Blazer is good to go.
(some pistols are finiky feeders and need brass cause it's "slicker" than aluminum or steel case)

It's mild ..runs right around 800fps thru 5" barrel guns

bullet set back on chambering is substantial .
One of the worst of the dozen or more brands I've measured.
so if you chamber it, shoot it..or at the minimum, don't unload and rechamber more than once

It's dirty, but most all inexpensive ammo is

Not terribly accurate, but unless you're a skilled enough shooter to shoot sub 2" groups at 25yrds with good ammo, you won't notice it

would i use it for defense?
welp, I'm sure it'll leave a mark...it's a big fat bone smashing bullet no matter what.
so if it was all i could afford, I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it proved reliable in my pistols

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SD or HD, hard ball will put down an advesary. Then you can explore all the exotic HP's, light weight HP's, jacketed Semi wad cutters,etc.

In the old days,I don't recommend this, some people would take FMJ & drill a hole in the center of the bullet nose. EARLY hollow point! DO NOT try this at home!!

I do feel a long diet of steel cases will put undue wear on your extractor.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Has anyone here ever had any experiences with Blazer 230 grain FMJ Ball ammo?If yes,what do you think of it if used for defense in the streets or even for home?Are they any good?
Thanks.
If you are talking about the brass cased ammo, then yes, I use it.

It's obviously not NRA Bullseye match quality ammo, being ball ammo, but we are not looking for that here.

I do prefer 45 acp ball ammo for personal and home defense. The 1911 was designed for ball, and reliability is the key.

It is my preferred defensive ammo: Economical, Readily Available, and Goes Bang.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I bought cases of Blazer brass back before Obama, I mean the ammo price sky launch. :D It runs fine. If I carried FMJ, I'd have no reservations carrying it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thousands of rounds of Blazer (the aluminum cased stuff) 230 grain ball through my .45s without a problem ever. It's what I pick up whenever I want to do a lot of shooting for as little as possible. If you can get it, it is a good deal.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've never had an issue with it but on another forum, a member there showed some pictures of factory Blazer ammo which he had just recently purchased that had the primers inserted backwards.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Blazer 230 FMJ is good practice ammo, but not well suited for carry or home defense. Get a premium JHP for that such as Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Winchester Ranger.

See the sticky at the top of the ammo can forum for more info. The stickys contain a lot of invaluable info. Always read those first.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think it's small primer if I remember (I bought a case from CJ a long time ago, but none since). So if you plan to reload it that may be an issue. Works fine for range work -

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have picked up and shot a good amount of the Blazer brass and it shoots pretty good for me,It is small pistol primed but I dont mind it,I stopped buying the aluminum Blazer because their really isn't that great of a price difference between the two..not like it used to be,I guess if all you had was FMJ ammo it would do the job at hand as far as puttin a big hole in something, stay safe.

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
I used to be a fan until I ran into several of these out of the box...

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
CCI Blazer is about all I use for practice. It's accurate and the price is right.
For carry, I use CCI Gold Dots.

I've never had a bad round out of the box.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I my opinion its the Ammo i use for my 1911s, Glocks and Xds, I have no problems with it yet,I highly recommend it for all to use and try.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I've shot tons of Blazer Brass in 45 and many tons of Aluminum in 9mm.

I've carried the Brass 45 in my 1911. I regularly carry ball ammo, but as stated previously... I'm not as cautious as your average 1911forum member. I drive too fast, fly too low, drink too much, play with wimmen of questionable morals, and carry FMJ in my 1911.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great stuff ! Always used the alum case , 230 grain for range work in all my 45's.
Only wish I had bought a truckload when Natchez was selling it so inexpensively 7 or 8 years ago. The "new" gun control scam seems to be a buck a shot handgun ammo. Anybody remember the OD surplus tuna cans of 45ACP that came with that big can opener ? The good old days !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts