1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh well. Just got my Dillon 650 a week ago, made some rounds and about 150 shots later KABOOM! The slide locked back on my STI Edge and I had to knock the barrel out with a hammer. There was a split along the bottom of the barrel from the muzzle back about 3 inches. Moral of the story - you can make alot of ammo really fast with these things, but you must visually inspect for double charges - or get the powder check system.

[This message has been edited by stiguy (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Banned
217 Posts
The only way to double-charge with an auto-indexing press is double-short stroke the handle.

The secret to avoid doubles is to religiously stroke the handle from top to bottom and back. Don't change your mind when you start down. If you forgot the bullet, you're better off cycling it through.

Another suggestion is to use a powder with enough bulk that doubles are easy to see.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
466 Posts

bummer.........

[This message has been edited by lodraw (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Registered
366 Posts
You now have a real barrel to chamber check future reloads. Consider yourself lucky you did not cause more damage to the gun or yourself. Visually check each one or (in my case) make sure if your routine is interrupted to check each station before proceeding.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I will assume that you did not purchase the "Powder Check" for the 650. I use this station for all of the calibers I reload. I have never had a "double charge" with the 650 but a couple of times I missed seeing a "glob" of cleaning media in the bottom of the case, with the powder sitting on top of this it set the buzzer off and I caught it.
I am really interested if you can determine how you got a double charge in the 650. A "short stroke" will not fully reset the powder measure, so I would not think it would dump a full load of powder the second time.
Kabooms are one of those great "mystery of life" issues that we will never know the true answers on. I "enjoyed" the pleasure of one of these myself last year.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Also, check your crimp. My only kaboom was caused by a bad crimp, possibly with A-merc brass. Throw out all that crap A-merc stuff and make sure you are getting a good tight crimp. I use a Lee factory crimp die.

------------------
"No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some OTHER dumb bastard die for HIS country!"
General George S. Patton Jr.

·
Registered
21,730 Posts
I was wondering how a double charge split the barrel from the muzzle back. Every kB I had previously heard of ruptured the chamber or just blew the casehead out the feed ramp and blew out the magazine and maybe wrecked the action.
Sounds more like a barrel obstruction right at the muzzle to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of Jim Watson. Is it possible you had a squib stuck in the barrel and pushed another bullet behind it. I see that possibility being more likely using a 650 then a double charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for your replies. I was using AA5 powder, 7.5 grains and a 140
grain Laser-Cast bullets at an OAL of 1.85". The only thing I can think of to
cause a double charge was that the empty case occasionally hung up on the
first station and I had to lower the handle to fully seat it, and then crank
it again. What is interesting is that there really felt to be no recoil on
that shot, I would have expected a lot more. Lastly, FWIW, the kaboomed case stuck in the chamber and literally required a hammer and scredriver to remove it, but the head was intact and the mag was fine. Thanks again, Jeff.

[This message has been edited by stiguy (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Squib it is. I looked down the barrel again and realized that there is a serious patch of fouling and residue only on the last 1.5" or so of the bore. The fouling ends in a neat concentric ring where I am guessing that the prior bullet lodged. Now I ordered a Bar-Sto. Anyone know of a good fitter? BarSto wants $125 and four to six weeks. Thanks again, Jeff

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I know of two other guns that were blown up and both shooters were using the 650 press. I might add that both shooters are very experienced competition shooters and had been reloading for a very long time. I know from my own experience that the powder measure on my 650 at times would throw as much as 1 full grain of powder over what I had it set at. I no longer use the Dillon powder measure in my press. What you may have experienced was a squib load that caused a double detonation which will increase the pressure in a load as much as 4 times.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 10-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Send it to EGW.

Anyone know of a good fitter? BarSto wants $125 and four to six weeks. Thanks again, Jeff[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
Originally posted by Hunter Customs:
I know of two other guns that were blown up and both shooters were using the 650 press. I might add that both shooters are very experienced competition shooters and had been reloading for a very long time. I know from my own experience that the power measure on my 650 at times would throw as much as 1 full grain of power over what I had it set at. I no longer use the Dillon power measure in my press. What you may have experienced was a squib load that caused a double detonation which will increase the pressure in a load as much as 4 times.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com
Just another side of the story. I have had my Dillon 650 since early spring. I have loaded 9000 rds of .45 ACP shooting out of 2 1911's. I know this is not a lot. I check my weight of powder thrown about every 50 rds and also check my OAL at the same time. I have had variances in my OAL due to the seating die building up with lead shavings and lube. I load 230 gr cast RN. I have never had any variance with the weight of powder thrown from the 650 however.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
111 Posts
An improper crimp can allow bullet setback, which will blow up most guns in a big hurry.

Of course, this really isn't a crimp problem at all, but a brass or resizing problem. CAses should resize adequately to retain the bullet without any crimp at all--but some, notably the AMERC mentioned, don't.

Steve

·
Registered
259 Posts
Walking Point -- I beg to differ with you on the amount of recoil during a kaboom. Same amount, just different directions. Slide release button in left thumb, trigger parts in left finger, plastic parts in right hand. This does not include the large amount of "recoil" coming out of the lower part of the backside of my body!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts