1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about Blue Dot and 45 ACP loads. As anoyone found a load for this and 200gr LSWC? is it acceptable? I run W231 a lot, but wanted to see waht was availabel for this powder.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've never loaded 200 LSWC with BD nor have I seen a load recipe for same.

I think it's way too slow burning for that bullet. You want to be at the other end of the powder burning rate continuum (e.g., Red Dot, Bullseye, 231, HP38, AA#2 or #5) if you ask me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Midway's LoadMAP lists a load for 200 grain LSWC using Blue Dot. Starting load is 8.3 grains Blue Dot and it gives 772 FPS. Max load is listed as 11.8 grains at 1113 FPS. I've loaded 8.3 grains once and it was on the weak side.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
First Sgt, I'm sure you can.....I just wouldn't. :)

I think the faster burning powders are time-tested winners for that bullet configuration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my thought too, I found data for 230gr Jacketed, but none for lead. No big deal, just wondering.

·
Super Moderator
14,996 Posts
FWIW,

While testing some Starline 45 Auto-Rim cases, for one of my loads I used 9.5gr Blue Dot with a 200gr LSWC. It chrono'd 865fps from a 3" barrel 625 revolver. Accuracy was OK, but not any better (or worse) than the other powder/bullet combinations I tried. Percieved recoil seems a bit less than loads with faster powders achieving about the same velocity.

I'm about to try some Blue Dot in .45acp, just because that's what's in my 550 powder measure right now, and I've never tried it in that caliber before.

Good shooting,

RR

·
Registered
76 Posts
It won't hurt to try the Blue Dot but I have always gotten the best accuracy in 45 ACP with the fast burning powders such as Bullseye and W231.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Blue Dot is the tried and true, time tested powder for handloading .45 acp self defense loads. While it's not particularly good for reduced pressure loads, it's been the powder of choice for quite a few years when the objective is max fps without exceeding sammi specs in the .45 acp. 200 grainers at 1,000 fps are easy,, the charge weights are going to vary with bullet seating depth, but will be in the 10 to 11 grain range. 230 grainers to 900 fps are possible as well but may approach +P pressure with JHPs.
If you look the data is out there for lead loads and Blue Dot. Ramshot Enforcer may well be as useful in this regard but the data is still being developed. BD

·
Registered
935 Posts
Since Blue Dot is pretty much the ideal powder for the itty bitty 9mm Para case, I'm not sure how it can be written off as "too slow" for the much larger .45 ACP case.

I don't have any data for lead bullets, but my trusty Speer Reloading Manual Number 13 lists a Blue Dot load for their 200 gr. TMJ SWC. The maximum load, 10.5 grains (9.4 is the starting load) with a CCI 300 primer, lists a velocity of 1010 fps.

They also list Blue Dot loadings for 225 gr. JHPs and for the Gold Dot 230 gr JHP.

For all three bullets, the Blue Dot loads produce the highest listed velocities--slightly higher than even the Power Pistol loads.

The Alliant web site shows a maximum load of 8.5 grains of Blue Dot behind a 230 FMC bullet with a Federal 150 primer.

I wasn't able to find any data for lead bullets. Perhaps that's because the velocities with the Blue Dot loads tend to be fairly high.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've used Blue Dot in many handgun calibers. All my BD loads fill the case 100% or are slightly compressed.

Ken Waters' manual details a 10.5 gr load which I duplicated for use in my 1911. I found that it launches a 230gr LRN like you wouldn't believe! Absolutely beautiful accuracy in my pistol. Authoritative recoil (which I like) along with the most purposeful ejection I've ever seen (which is kinda kool too as long as it doesn't hit me :biglaugh: ). I wouldn't recommend this load for everyday target practice, it's pretty close to max but does so without pressure signs. It would make an excellent self defense round in the boonies or for barrier shooting on the interstate. Worthless (IMO) for use in high population areas due to overpenetration.

I always though of this as a somewhat dirty (incomplete burn) powder due to my previous experiences with the 44mag. Even mag primers didn't help much in that caliber. But upon putting a slight roll crimp on the 45acp rounds in an attempt to prevent bullet migration due to recoil I found it burns very clean. What a nice bonus :)

Sorry, haven't played around with the 200 grainers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i tried 7, 7.5 and 8 grain loads of blue dot yesterday. one ragged hole at 8 yards, easy to controll for me.

ejection was 3 to 5 feet if i had a chrono i would post the results, oal between 1.240 and1.245

my data from alliant says between 7.2 and 10.7 grains

i used a 200 grain swc and winchester primers. once fired fiocchi brass

1 - 14 of 14 Posts