1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about these pistols?
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=1778096

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I believe that's made by Shooters Arms Manufacturing corp., SAM for short. Their company is located south of Philippines. If you go to RIA topic in this same forum you'll find their website posted by one member.

vega

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ok. Look for topic posted by Zoroz1. The site was given by Matt. Sorry, I'm just too lazy this morning to copy the website.

vega

·
Registered
86 Posts
Vega, you are right. The BLUE THUNDER 1911
is a product of Shooters Arms Manufacturing (SAM).

No pun intended but I do not recommend purchasing this clone. I have visited one of
their stores and inspected some of their
1911 pistols including their BLUE THUNDER.

The clearances between parts are way too big for comfort. The saleslady assured me that
the ones I examined where for display purposes only. I did not believe her. Poor craftmanship is clearly visible (poor finish, rough edges..etc). I also doubt the metallurgy.

Here in the Philippines, sub-standard (aka "fake") guns abound and I have inspected some of them. Looks are deceiving but one will know the difference once you pop some rounds.

The SAM 1911s look like fakes.......

I was able to use one during a GUN SAFETY SEMINAR...and I decided to stay away from
these clones.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I think I'd rather own a Llama .45 over one made in the philippines.

But not owning one this is just my opinion.

Most say the same for the Norinco 1911's. I own two, each have well over 6k rounds without any problems. I even own a Thompson Auto Ordnance with 5,073 rounds through it and it's as reliable as my Wilson CQB's.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Aye !

The Llama 1911 is of course superior compared to the SAM clone. As most upstart firearm companies are, they all start out milling guns of mediocre performance but they will get better and better.....

I think this should be in the NORINCO section but I'll share my view anyway:

The Llama 1911A1 vs Norinco 1911A1

i. Conformance to 1911A1 standard

The Llama 1991A1 spec is close but not close
enough to the standard. A Llama 1911 owner who tries to swap parts with a Colt will know sure enough the differences. Try it for yourself and see.

The Norinco 1911A1 is a mill spec clone of the 1911A1 standard. The early 1911 releases of the NORINCO where a bit rough but their new ones are comparable to most other better known clones. I didnt find a problem when I
swapped my Norinco 1911 parts with a Colt save for some tinnie-winnie tight fits.

ii.Metallurgy

I dont know much about metal crafts but I do know that a Llama 1911 quits earlier than a NORINCO. Ive seen it happen many times in the range.

A friend of mine told me that NORINCOs are better because they where designed to eat corrosive ammo. I havent verified his claim.

I hope this helps you in deciding for a Llama.

Cheers !

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mojavekid - Welcome to the forum and Mabuhay. In fairness to SAM, I dont own one but a friend does in .38 Sup. He replaced the firing pin and spring and it works reliably. But youre right, the display they have in QC, if that's where you went, would send customers away.

vega

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, this doesn't sound good. I purchased a Blue Thunder a few months back. I ended up replacing the barrel with a Nowlin custom barrel and the recoil spring with a Nowlin 18.5# one. I had hoped that I had purchased a reasonably decent clone,but from the sund of the comments, I may have screwwed up. I can say, however, that the pistol has never jammed. I haven't grouped it yet. I guess now would be a good time.

------------------
Surrounded? Yes. Outmanuvered? Maybe. Outclassed? NEVER!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
SAM == paltik with serial numbers

and well, even if they were say, equal to the quality of the norinco, they cost so much more, the only reason being so is that the chinese pay much much less for labor.

hell i wouldn't be surprised if the chinese employed deathrow inmates to make the norinco guns and then execute them with the very same guns they made :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts