1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a bobtail kick and stumbled across this beautiful two-tone professional chambered in 9mm

0302191504.jpg

0302191505a.jpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also love bobtail 1911’s. Funny thing is that I did not like bobtail’s the first several times I saw them. And then it grew on me. I scratched that itch with a Dan Wesson VBOB. Someday, I’ll have a Wilson Combat. That is my white whale.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Love them. I have big meaty hands (think stretching 2x gloves) and the rounded corners feel good in the heel of my hand. Helps with concealment. I can conceal my CBOB and Fusion Gov't size, with bobtails as well as I can my Kimber compact.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I recently discovered I like Bobtails as well. But I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the combination of the bobtail with the flat trigger. I really like how the two feel and Handle together.

My New Dan Wesson ECP (Everyday Carry Pistol) - Lightweight Frame & Bull Barrel

At 8 Yards Slow-Fire

At 8 Yards Rapid-Fire. That's a 2" Group! (Fast as I could pull the trigger! Very impressed with the mild recoil. Even less than my WC ULC!)

At 17 Yards. That's also a 2" Group!

Glamour Shot :)

I just finished writing up a review comparing the Dan Wesson ECP and Wilson Combat ULC. I don't have the publication date yet, but once it is published it will be ok for me to post it here.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
I like and dislike them at the same time, on one hand it allows me one extra shot vs a compact and has almost no concealment hit. On the other hand it's not as good for me be a real fullsize/commander frame so I lament the speed loss. I normally stick to a compact if I want a compact or fullsize if I want a fullsize.

I am going to experiment with my CQB professional though, I am envisioning an opticomp bob-tail professional using the new Wilson RMR plate since I already got the clear from Wilson that Ed Brown doing a bobtail won't void anything.

Call it my fullsize carry, I think I am going to keep my BW/carry comp an irons gun so that I can always carry it year round.

·
Premium Member
20,294 Posts
I've been a bobtail fan since Ed Brown came out with the Kobra Carry. Just received a totally amazing Guncrafter Commander bobtail. Now I only have a few 1911's with a full grip. These are my first two, the very early Ed Brown and a Kimber Pro SLE bobtailed and golfballed by Chuck.

·
Premium Member
20,294 Posts
Wilson gave up on competing with Brown! :biglaugh: But seriously I think it has been an option all along.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Interesting.

Apparently they restarted them since then. I saw a bobtail fs on mginslingers website a few months back. It is now in his sold section but here is the test target showing 8/30/18.
Wilson gave up on competing with Brown! :biglaugh: But seriously I think it has been an option all along.
Perhaps they brought them back at some point, but they were definitely discontinued starting in 2014.

We offer many, many more options than any other large shop. It was just time to trim the "out of shop" options and parts. The other reality is that the bobtail simply is not very popular and over the last few years the round butt has eclipsed it 20-1 as a custom option. There are certain "gungineering" reasons why we prefer the round butt also but the main reason is that outside the forums it was never wildly popular.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=459231

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=463355

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Perhaps they brought them back at some point, but they were definitely discontinued starting in 2014.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=459231

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=463355
WCR was most likely stating what was fact at that time. Wilson is about making money as long as it can be done without hurting their reputation for high quality offerings from what I can tell.

WCR also stated before that Wilson would not make commander length GI guide rods nor would they make 4" closed ended reverse plugs. It has also been posted that they would not make commander guns as Bill believed that 4" bull guns were more reliable. All three of these items can now be purchased directly from Wilson.

Things change. It is a good thing for a company to change with the times.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Beautiful pistols all. I have one bobtail and I love it. Wouldn't hesitate to have more. Great feel in my hand!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts