1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bobtail and Snakeskin

I know Ed Brown doesn't do this on the side anymore and I was wanting to know if anyone here knew anyone that I could send a springfield in to do it.

Looking for contacts, email, phone numbers, websites, etc.

I hate the plain frontstrap on the springfields and was wanting to snakeskin the frontstrap. I can just buy the bobtailed MSH with snakeskin on it from ed brown, but does anyone know someone who can apply the snakeskin?

Thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
From what I understand you can buy the jig to make the bobtail so that as long as you supply the jig, or the gunsmith of choice already possesses one, you can take it anywhere you wish.

Theo

·
Registered
305 Posts
John Harrison a member of this forum does and outstanding job.
Has done one for me and several for various others.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ricky T said:
Any competent pistolsmith can perform the conversion.
Can it be done on an aluminum frame? How much does it cost?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,635 Posts
mcg-doc said:
Can it be done on an aluminum frame? How much does it cost?

Thanks!
It can be done on an aluminum frame, but the frame will have to be refinished. The AVERAGE going rate that I've seen is $150, not including refinishing.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My gunsmith is doing a Bobtail conversion on my Les Baer Concept VII as I write this. It will be around $200 after it's re-blued and tax is added.

·
Registered
294 Posts
FWIW- A bobtail mod is pretty easy. If you can fit a beavertail grip safety, you can do this at home. I used calipers to locate the new MSH hole, rather than spending the extra $ on the jig. Came out perfect. I used a King's grip safety, deepened the factory checkering and checkered the Bobtail to match. Still working on final prep before finish is applied.
Go for it! The worse you could do is to ruin it..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts