1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i took the Taurus in for a little body work today. It wasn't too hard, but it could use a little bit more sanding to get everything flush, i'll get to that when i kote it. The grips are McCormick's slimlines and its the Ed Brown snakeskin housing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
It's a shame Crimson Trace doesn't build LaserGrips for a bobtail yet! All my carry guns are bobtailed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about reworking the switchboard on the crimson trace grips, but it wasn't worth it....if they would just move the on/off switch 1/2 and inch up it would work:(

·
Registered
662 Posts
Make sure you go to their web site and fill out their request for new models. We need as many people that we can get to fill this out so they will consider making them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh, now that is too cool! I was just thinking of doing a search on bobbing a standard frame. I figured it could be done. I think the only thing that would keep me from doing it on my (only) 1911 (for now) is that it can't be undone and it eliminates the option of adding a magwell.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I was wondering how long it would take to see these pistols customized. That will tell the long term story about the success of this model.

But on a personal note, your bobtail looks good.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do the bobtails require a special mainspring or can you use a standard mainspring? I might want to have this done to my Kimber Pro Carry in the future. I'd be a bit leary of doing it myself on a carry gun. If I ever had to use it, I'd have to explain myself as to why I felt the need to modify the gun. Sure it's not as controversial as removing a mag safety or doing my own trigger job, but why give them yet another inch of rope in which to hang me?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Do the bobtails require a special mainspring or can you use a standard mainspring? I might want to have this done to my Kimber Pro Carry in the future. I'd be a bit leary of doing it myself on a carry gun. If I ever had to use it, I'd have to explain myself as to why I felt the need to modify the gun. Sure it's not as controversial as removing a mag safety or doing my own trigger job, but why give them yet another inch of rope in which to hang me?
with respect, utter bollocks...That's like arguing that changing your grip panels for micarta ones made your ability to aim "more deadly" or that fitting CTC grips, the laser guided the bullet to it's target. Or that you could have shot the bad guy with a less lethal .22, but instead you maliciously chose to use the extra murderous " flying ashtry" .45 calibre.... The consequences of your decision to shoot will depend on you being either justified or not, the fact you had a trigger or bobtail job done on your weapon has no bearing...

That said, very nice job on the Taurus ! Have you shot it with the bobtail yet ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
with respect, utter bollocks...That's like arguing that changing your grip panels for micarta ones made your ability to aim "more deadly" or that fitting CTC grips, the laser guided the bullet to it's target. Or that you could have shot the bad guy with a less lethal .22, but instead you maliciously chose to use the extra murderous " flying ashtry" .45 calibre.... The consequences of your decision to shoot will depend on you being either justified or not, the fact you had a trigger or bobtail job done on your weapon has no bearing...

That said, very nice job on the Taurus ! Have you shot it with the bobtail yet ?
My, my, I'd say I struck a nerve! I was afraid of that. Part of me said I should've just said I didn't want to "Fowl" it up! I can drill and grind, but I'd hate to screw it up. It's not as easy to replace the frame as it is any other part on the gun.

I meant no disrespect to you and your work arjppj.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main reason i did it is comfort. As a big guy my 1911s dig into my lovehandles and hurts like hell after riding in a car for a while. During up and around movements its not bad, but now thats its bobtailed it is REALLY easier to carry around and while sitting it really makes a difference. I took it out shooting a few weeks ago and the only thing i noticed different was the mainspring is a bit stiffer and has a harder hammer strike. I would still love to sandblast it and get it refinished in od green frame with black slide/beavertail/ect...
And Halo, i had a Smith and Alexander magwell on it, and it just added too much length for my taste. Unless you're wearing a heavy coat its hard to hide it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts