1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Before tooling up to make something like a bolt action in .30 Carbine, you first have to do a market study to figure out IF there's a market for it.

I suspect that there aren't that many people willing to buy a rather odd ball firearm like this.
Few gun companies can afford to build a low sales specialty rifle that would have little market.

·
Registered
23,007 Posts
This is correct.

Before tooling up to make something like a bolt action in .30 Carbine, you first have to do a market study to figure out IF there's a market for it.

I suspect that there aren't that many people willing to buy a rather odd ball firearm like this.
Few gun companies can afford to build a low sales specialty rifle that would have little market.
A bolt gun in .30 carbine would likely have about as much appeal as a bolt gun in 32 WCF, Another one that nobody is really clamoring for.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
The problem is with the .30 Carbine round itself. Other than M1 Carbine owners there is virtually no demand for it. It may have been a good idea at the time when the Army needed a light rifle but there are so many other well-established calibers that perform better.

·
Registered
509 Posts
At least one custom TC Encore barrel maker lists the 30 Carbine. Would seem to imply there is some sort of interest outside the M1 Carbines.

I do doubt that a bolt action would be a real market success.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Don't over look the Ruger model 77/357mag and a 44 version . A 125gr 357mag can easily manage 2300fps plus with very average factory ammo so not much for the 30 carbine to even match as a plinker or as a hunter or shoot cheaper .

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
At least one custom TC Encore barrel maker lists the 30 Carbine. Would seem to imply there is some sort of interest outside the M1 Carbines.

I do doubt that a bolt action would be a real market success.
That's probably a leftover from when surplus .30 Carbine ammo was cheap and plentiful. Ruger also offered the Blackhawk in .30 Carbine IIRR but you don't many of those.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Marlin built the Levermatic in 30 carbine (as well as the failed 256 Win mag). Performance of the 30 Carbine is similar to that of a 357 magnum. Aside from the Levematic, TC Encore, and the M1 Carbine, your choices for 30 Carbine long guns are pretty limited. There are plenty of 357 magnum options though.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I would like to see a 357 semi auto rifle. Yes I know 30 carbine is similar but I have multiple 357's so for me it makes sense.

Hate to admit that I passed on a sweet deal for a m1 carbine. My need for a light weight mag fed garand style action is already filled by my mini 14.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You could always convert a Mini 14 or AR or such to a rimless 357 Magnum, ala 350 Legend (or 223) cases trimmed to Magnum length. A handloading task, but 357 Magnum ballistics. Perhaps nicer than working with the rim of the Magnum cases. Magazines may need some sort of modification.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
The .30 Carbine has too many things going against it to be taken seriously either as a pistol round OR a rifle cartridge. It's way too long to be practical in semi-auto pistols, but it's also rimless which makes it less than optimal in revolvers. It is a straight-walled cartridge and was designed to use round-nosed, FMJ bullets which nobody outside the Hague Convention ever thought was a great idea. Virtually all serious rifle calibers are bottlenecked and use pointed Spitzer bullets. That's not to say that the .30 Carbine is useless, for a JHP version like Hornady's Critical Defense makes for an excellent short-range home or ranch defense rifle, and can be used for small game hunting as well. Unfortunately beyond that there's nothing it can do that other calibers can't so it will likely die off if/when all those M1 Carbines out there finally do.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The .30 Carbine has too many things going against it to be taken seriously either as a pistol round OR a rifle cartridge. It's way too long to be practical in semi-auto pistols, but it's also rimless which makes it less than optimal in revolvers. It is a straight-walled cartridge and was designed to use round-nosed, FMJ bullets which nobody outside the Hague Convention ever thought was a great idea. Virtually all serious rifle calibers are bottlenecked and use pointed Spitzer bullets. That's not to say that the .30 Carbine is useless, for a JHP version like Hornady's Critical Defense makes for an excellent short-range home or ranch defense rifle, and can be used for small game hunting as well. Unfortunately beyond that there's nothing it can do that other calibers can't so it will likely die off if/when all those M1 Carbines out there finally do.
Hush on that, I've too many M-1 Carbines in the safe.

It'll be the same as the FN P-90 and it's 5.7MM round, designed for a specific weapon and then used on a limited basis by FN on some handgun designs to try and sell the round. Luckily for me I doubt the interest in M-1 Carbines dies out in my lifetime unless the left wins the gun ban wars and bans all semi auto rifles.

I expect it'll end up costing my heirs what it costs me to feed the 1876 Winchester 45-70 that's been in my family since 1899...$2.00-4.00 bucks a round and it'll sit in their safes

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oooooohhhh boy. Just because is tooo long for a semi automatic its a bad cartridge? If desert eagle can make a semi auto feed a 44 magnum, and Coonan can make a version of 1911 that feeds a 357 magnum.. That's a moot point.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
oooooohhhh boy. Just because is tooo long for a semi automatic its a bad cartridge? If desert eagle can make a semi auto feed a 44 magnum, and Coonan can make a version of 1911 that feeds a 357 magnum.. That's a moot point.
Desert Eagles and Coonans suck to shoot. Not comfortable at all.

Coonans dont run with anything less than full power loads.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Desert Eagles and Coonans suck to shoot. Not comfortable at all.

Coonans dont run with anything less than full power loads.
Buying a Coonan and running low power loads is like ordering sports car with a 4 cylinder engine.

In all seriousness, 10mm is probably the best compromise for big bore autoloaders. Everything else is either comically large, or finicky.

Like dsk said, the 30 carbine is niche round, that isn't ideal for anything. It is the akward middle man between handgun rounds, and intermediate rifle rounds. An AKM is only 1 pound heavier than an M1 carbine, and fires a much more effective round. There is a plethora of capable rounds for bolt guns. Limiting yourself to the anemic 30 carbine would make zero sense unless you had a mountain of it in your house.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I'm thinkin' the only appeal lookin' back 50 years was the availability on the surplus market for ammo and Carbines. Beyond that not much appeal.

I had an opportunity to shoot the Ruger 30 carbine revolver. Significant blast and flame similar to the .357 MAX!

R.I.P.,

·
Registered
23,007 Posts
AMT made an auto handgun in .30 carbine back in their day.

It was pretty short lived as only about half of them would actually run. Typical of AMT in general.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts