1911Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
According to Hornady loading book V9 the 30 carbine is one of the top 10 reloaded grounds.
That would make sense. 30 Carbine can get expensive and it looks like manufactures do it in batches. Post Newtown none of them were making it, they were making "normal" rounds that were in high demand.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Marlin built the Levermatic in 30 carbine (as well as the failed 256 Win mag). Performance of the 30 Carbine is similar to that of a 357 magnum. Aside from the Levematic, TC Encore, and the M1 Carbine, your choices for 30 Carbine long guns are pretty limited. There are plenty of 357 magnum options though.
I think those pretty much are the choices. I have all three of them and an old Ruger Blackhawk 3 screw in 30 carbine. The M1 came first, then I picked up the Marlin 62 to convince myself I should reload the 30 Carbine, something I wouldn't do with the Inland. Then I picked up the T/C because I wanted to see just how accurate the cartridge could be. The Ruger was "such a deal" I couldn't say no.

I may have a gun buying problem …..:bawling:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
The .327 Federal cartridge offers similar performance to the .30 carbine and they do chamber some lever action rifles in .327 Federal as well as some handguns too.

You could rebarrel a CZ 550 into .30 Carbine. The .22 Hornet version of the CZ 550 would be a good candidate as you would need to do very little to get it working. Now then there have been some people who built .30 carbine bolt action rifles from some of the old military bolt actions. So it can be done.

But as mentioned there just is no demand or market for .30 carbine guns.

OH YEAH, one thought i just had was you could use a chamber insert for .30 carbine in a bolt action rifle. They make them in several calibers like .30-06, .308Win, etc.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
If you plug the gas port on a m1 carbine, you have a straight pull 30 Carbine bolt action. I wouldn't recommend doing that though.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Just load .30 Carbine into a Hi-Point 9mm carbine by hand...
I can't imagine it will cycle the empties,
so "bingo-bango"... straight-pull .30 Carbine 'bolt gun'!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts