1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen this type of action before.
The bolt action mode seems to make more sense suppressed.
And maybe with shorts (if it will feed them).

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
I have never seen this type of action before.
The bolt action mode seems to make more sense suppressed.
And maybe with shorts (if it will feed them).
A different approach to similar design goals, referenced here:

The Steven's 87A. Neither of these are my examples; they illustrate the action. The position of the knurled button selects between manually operated and semi-automatic bolt action:

Stampings on the barrelled action indicate it capable of firing .22 short, long, long-rifle in manual mode; long-rifle only in semi-auto.

When I bought a Steven's 87A, it was with no idea that it was the same model as Grandpa's rifle ... Grandpa's rifle had been missing for >40yrs. Dad had a vague description that it was a Steven's .22 with a tube magazine. But Grandpa was a professional Scout. So it's very likely he had the same idea as mine: a rifle that could be used to teach rifle marksmanship to Boy Scouts in the manual mode (semi-autos not allowed for merit badge qualification); and used as a semi-auto for other purposes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Classic Firearms Had it listed under 22 L R Military Surplus Long Gun.
Beretta Olimpia ( Olympia) Training Rifle. 22 L R.S/A, NRA Surplus.
Bolt down repeater, or as you say single shot, bolt up semi auto.

·
Registered
21,989 Posts
This looks like a very close derivative of the prewar Walther Model 1 .22 auto-bolt action. Here is one of those for sale

The Weatherby Mk XXII has a setting where it operates as a self ejecting repeater. Fire and the bolt stays open, push the lever to close.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jim.

Lots of clever old gun designs out there. Even if they are not produced any more. That Walther looked pretty clean. I wonder what it sold for.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
My dad had an old Stevens Model 87A that I shot as a kid. Fond memories of that rifle. It was crazy accurate as I remember.
Not sure how well I can exploit that on a rifle with open sights ... no, check that: at 25yds, B.S.A. range, I’m still doing well with an aperture ... so some hope for the partridge sights when close-up.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
The Savage model 87/85 series was not even known to me until a few weeks ago. A model 85A came into the shop in a trade. It looked pretty unusual and almost futuristic with the gill cuts on the side of the receiver. My neighbor stopped by the shop and bought it, so I'm hoping to get to shoot it some day.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
The Savage model 87/85 series was not even known to me until a few weeks ago. A model 85A came into the shop in a trade. It looked pretty unusual and almost futuristic with the gill cuts on the side of the receiver. My neighbor stopped by the shop and bought it, so I'm hoping to get to shoot it some day.
O-k-a-y ... here's the one that I bought. Actually a Stevens-Savage 87D; Grandpa's is a Springfield-Stevens 87A. That one, I didn't photograph because it's currently maimed: in the 40yrs wandering in the wilderness, it appears the front sight was detached and somebody tried mounting a different sight. The dovetails didn't match. Recently I gently drifted it off. A replacement is on the way; if it fits, I'll photograph it before and after.
Stevens87.jpg Stevens87s_2.jpg

P.S.-ish ... had to take a shot of the left side to capture the gill cuts.

Reactions: M-Peltier

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Cool little rifle there as a semi-auto bolt gun. I suspect that one could make manysemi-auto .22 LR guns into one like it. You just have to be able to machine the bolt and receiver to have a lock position for the bolt like they did with this one.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
BTW - per the thread linked here:

... I’m fixing to add an optical sight to one of my S87s. Looking to be the one in the photos in #10. That one, the 87D, has rails; Grandpa’s does not.

Leading to this result:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts