1911Forum banner

581 - 600 of 601 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Built this on a Sako TRG-S M995 action in 7mm Rem Mag. Bartlein gain twist barrel, Manners stock, Tubbs heavy recoil lug, PTG (McMillan) bottom metal, etc. Had to make the rail for mounting the optic and the bolt handle.

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
It is a little known fact that Justin Beiber is a shooter.

Here he is shooting off the jersey barrier Sunday afternoon.

Ok, maybe not the real Justin Beiber...

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Browning X Bolt McMillan Long Range Max

Finally got the scope mounted on this beast. I installed a Vortex PST Gen II 5 x 25 x 50. The rifle is chambered in 6.5 Creed. I'll get it bore sighted at the shop this week and hopefully get out with it soon. I ended up installing the 0 MOA rail and I'll see how that works. Man.....this is a bench only setup. Frickin thing must weigh 11 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,125 Posts
Very nice.

Finally got the scope mounted on this beast. I installed a Vortex PST Gen II 5 x 25 x 50. The rifle is chambered in 6.5 Creed. I'll get it bore sighted at the shop this week and hopefully get out with it soon. I ended up installing the 0 MOA rail and I'll see how that works. Man.....this is a bench only setup. Frickin thing must weigh 11 lbs.
I like the urban disco groove camo pattern. Let us know how you like the scope. I may have a use for one of those on one of my rifles.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Congrats. Looks great.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Very nice. I bet it shoots real nice, especially when you find ammo it likes. Have you shot it yet? When my son bought his X Bolt he looked at the Max, but ultimately chose the Hells canyon speed because it was a little lighter. His sole purpose is for hunting. Heres a photo of his before a range trip. For Hunting he does not use the sunshade or bi-pod. It still weighs 9 pounds or so with the scope, also a Vortex. The stock so impressed me I was inspired to send my Savage to McMillan. Those stocks are superb.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
Did a little stick shooting at 1,000 yards with my Terminus 223 Ackley. Fritz at Black Canyon Customs builds an awesome rifle. Feeds like butter and slings 80gn Matchkings at 3,100 fps into 1/2 - 3/4 MOA.

·
Registered
23,125 Posts
That must be a bit of a trick.

Did a little stick shooting at 1,000 yards with my Terminus 223 Ackley. Fritz at Black Canyon Customs builds an awesome rifle. Feeds like butter and slings 80gn Matchkings at 3,100 fps into 1/2 - 3/4 MOA.

To get a .22 centerfire round to stay hypersonic and true all the way out past a thousand yards. What kind of a load are you using?

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
To get a .22 centerfire round to stay hypersonic and true all the way out past a thousand yards. What kind of a load are you using?
A healthy dose of Varget on a pointed 80gn Sierra Matchking.

Keep in mind it is a 223 Ackley with a long throat. That adds a bit more room in the case for powder. That 80 is still going close to 1,300 fps at 1,000 yards.

Hitting a 12 inch plate off a tripod was not terribly hard, but you have to be 100% dead nuts on your wind. I was never able to go 10 for 10.

·
Registered
23,125 Posts
Pretty slick!

Keep in mind it is a 223 Ackley with a long throat. That adds a bit more room in the case for powder. That 80 is still going close to 1,300 fps at 1,000 yards.

Hitting a 12 inch plate off a tripod was not terribly hard, but you have to be 100% dead nuts on your wind. I was never able to go 10 for 10.
I have been looking at those Ackley improved rounds for some time. We will see going forward. A lot of the sources for custom dies are drying up. Ask me how I know. I am going to be getting a custom 40-70- SS die in a few months though from Neil Jones. RCBS has completely discontinued their custom dies. And 4-D is two years out on some dies.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

And you are hitting a 12" plate at 1000 yards? WOW I would have not thought that possible with any consistency at all.

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
And you are hitting a 12" plate at 1000 yards? WOW I would have not thought that possible with any consistency at all.
The Really Right Stuff Tripods and ARCA attachments are rock solid.

For sure it was not much of a "group" but on steel a hit is a hit.

On a full sized IPSC target, hits were easy.

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
I have been looking at those Ackley improved rounds for some time. We will see going forward. A lot of the sources for custom dies are drying up. Ask me how I know. I am going to be getting a custom 40-70- SS die in a few months though from Neil Jones. RCBS has completely discontinued their custom dies. And 4-D is two years out on some dies.
The 223 Ackley is my favorite Ackley round. Most of my 223 AR-15 uppers have been rechambered to Ackley. You can only stuff 27-28 rounds in a 30 round mag, but that is the only drawback.

223 Ackley dies are a pretty commonly stocked item. I have 2 Dillon 550 toolheads set up. One for bolt gun ammo and one for gas gun. And then one for my 1050 to crank out bulk ammo.

Neil makes awesome dies. Good to hear he is going to get you hooked up.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Daniel Defense Delta 5 in 6.5 CM with S&B PM2 5-25x. First outing it met or exceeded the .75 MOA guarantee. Upper right target square is a 3 shot group at 100 yds my son shot. ( i rarely make the photo album)

Attachments

581 - 600 of 601 Posts