1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a light to my house gun, a Springflied stainless full size. The gun won't be carried or exposed to the elements. It will live in a lock box in the bedroom when it's not being shot at the range. To keep the cost down, I'm planning on mounting a Streamlight M3.

The two rails than seem to get the most press here on the board are the Dawson and Caspian. Do M3's mount directly to these or is some sort of interface piece necessary?

I've seen pictures of the Dawson rail mounted. It's very compact. I've also seen pictures of the Caspian, but not mounted on a pistol. It seems a little bulkier. Does anyone have pics of these settups with and without lights mounted? I'd appreciate it if you'd post some for me.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'd look at www.dawsonprecision.com.

There are pictures of the Dawson rail on one of their pistols with a light (it's a Surefire, though).

The Caspian rail seems close to a Picatinny spec'd rail, while the Dawson rail is a low profile rail. The Dawson rail is advertised to be able to fit a standard holster (without the light attached). The Caspian rail is probably too massive to fit a standard holster.

The MARSOC DET 1 pistol sports a Dawson rail, by the way.

I don't know how well the M3 fits the Dawson or Caspian rails. The Dawson rails were featured in a Surefire Guns and Ammo special. My guess is that the rail works great with Surefire products.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jimbo,

I didn't see pics on the website of a Dwason rail and a Streamlight M3. I e-mailed them last night and asked.

Thanks
---------------------

Does anyone have any experience with the Caspian rail?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dawson just replied to my e-mail. Their rails only fit Surefire lights.

Aronj,

Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
462 Posts
MEH92 said:
jimbo,

I didn't see pics on the website of a Dwason rail and a Streamlight M3. I e-mailed them last night and asked.
Just to clear the air, I did say in the post that the light pictured on the Dawson website was a Surefire, not a Streamlight. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Doesn't Cylinder & Slide now offer a bolt-on rail? I'm pretty sure it was them I saw advertised somewhere.

Anyhow, the upside to the Dawson mod is that it allows you the option of carrying your weapon in a standard holster. Yea, you have to buy the modified surefire light, but it's a quality light. If you already have the Streamlight, there could be a problem....

I've been looking into this myself.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called Caspian and Gary said that the Recon Rail is spec'd the same as a Glock rail. He advised that the M3 would be a perfect fit and has sold countless rails just for that purpose.

I bought one and ordered the M3 also. I'm going to have it welded on and will post pics when I'm finished with the project.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If you are not going to use the quick on / off feature of the light, then I think you would be better off purchasing the Surefire light that attaches via a modified slide lock. I have one that I bought from Surefire when it first came out and it works fine. It takes about two minutes to detach, if you want to carry the pistol sans light.
Why mess with buying a bolt-on rail and drilling holes in your frame for no reason. You are not saving any money.
Personally, I do not find the quick on/off feature to be very useful.
ML

1 - 9 of 9 Posts