1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by HANDGUNNER:
Get the bo-mar for the LPA sight cut

Recently I had my P14 fitted with a bo-mar sight and our local gunsmith said that the firing pin plunger would have to go and that 99.9% of all Para-Ords fitted with Bo-mar1 adjustable sight, their firing pin plunger would be of no use. My question is, is this true? If I insist on putting back the plunger how can I remedy the problem.

Hope to here from you soon....Thanks

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Raven P14:Recently I had my P14 fitted with a bo-mar sight and our local gunsmith said that the firing pin plunger would have to go and that 99.9% of all Para-Ords fitted with Bo-mar1 adjustable sight, their firing pin plunger would be of no use. My question is, is this true? If I insist on putting back the plunger how can I remedy the problem.
By having the slide machined to accept the Bomar sight, you will end up exposing the top side of the hole in the slide, where the firing pin plunger moves. You will have opened up this hole, making the plunger inoperable. If you put the plunger back in, chances are it will not function as intended - or at all.

It is my understanding that the LPA cut is NOT interchangeable with the Bomar cut. Your gunsmith is right - you will not be able to use the plunger, which means you will have to delete the series 80 levers, and add a "shim" to take the place of the upper lever.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well if the Bo-mar is placed in the conventional place that most are, then you will run into a problem. So to alleviate this I just cheat the sight another.100 or a 1/10th of an inch further to the rear. This allows the plunger to still operate as designed. I have done about a dozen this way but they were all Colt series 80's I would imagine the Para would work the same!
The only downside is the rear of the sight slightly protrudes off the rear of the slide. Doesnt look bad at all in my opinion
Good luck

------------------
Chris from va

[This message has been edited by blindhogg (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the LPA sight covers the plunger hole and is a direct replacement for the current sight.

[This message has been edited by et45 (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys for the informative inputs. Well I have consulted another gunsmith and he said that "it can be done", he'll just shorten the plunger to fit to its original place. Again guys is this viable?

Originally posted by blindhogg:
Well if the Bo-mar is placed in the conventional place that most are, then you will run into a problem...

Unfortunately the damage has already been done, anyway but would this inovative technique be in the way of the hammer?

Originally posted by Dave Williams:
BoMar makes a direct replacement for the sight that came with your Para.

Thanks Dave but as I have said the damage has been done, unless Bomar replaces my slide. Again thanks.

Originally posted by banjobart:
I ordered the Bomar model to replace the LPA sight...

I think you are refering to the latest model of Bomar (BOMAR2) with two adjustable screws on top. At that time I'm considering not to replace my stock front sight so I opted for the low profile one, anyway thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I replaced my broken Para Limited original rear sight with the Bo-mar BCMS-LP from Brownells, part # 135-102-200 which is made to replace the LPA sight cut that is used by ParaOrdnance in the Limited pistols.

I did not use the BCMS, BCMS-2, BCMS K, nor the other Bo-mar models.

My series 80 firing pin block works just fine with the new sight. The BCMS-LP fits in the original factory cut with a few strokes of a file on the new Bomar replacement in my case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts