1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of white buffalo bone grips on my Dan Wesson Valor with black duty finish. I'm wanting to darken them up some to show the figure - any ideas on how to darken/age these grips? I've done some research online where folks have used tea/coffee to do this. Appreciate ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
Strong tea.
Not the tea bag stuff.
Let the grips sit in it for a day

AFS

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
May I use this opportunity to ask if some bone grips are better than others. I see giraffe bone and bone from several other sources with differences in price.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not certain about the differences in the various bone grips. Update on aging my grips - I did contact Scott Kolar of SK grips (where I purchased them) and asked him about aging my grips. He informed me they will age with time however I stated I was 71 and didn't want to wait for "time aging" ( : He responded he has his own special process where he can age them. I shipped them off to him and he received them this Monday the 21st. He has already "aged" them and shipped them back. I will post pictures when I receive them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just received my grips back from Scott Kolar-SK Grips who aged them for me. They were super white-white when I purchased them from Scott however I like them better after he aged them. Super quick turn around time and very reasonable price.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Ivory, bone or antler on blued guns is spectacular!!!
Long ago we laminated dyed white Birdseye maple with Gougeon Bros, now West System epoxy.
The 206 hardener, over the years, yellows a bit and looks like aged animal grips.
For us poor folk. ;)
Made a turquoise pickguard for my Telecaster recently and coated it with some decade old 206. The next morning the yellow caused the pickguard to become Aqua. :(
Head up my butt.

Knew a great scrimshaw artist who married a Native American Alaskan just to be near the source.
Lovely gal was another plus.
Sold him some Rosewood to finance some Colts.

All our blued guns, handguns and rifles will get white laminated stocks.
Tribute to my Dad and the 10th Mountain from '41.
10th Mountain series and since everything needs a name, the rifles are...
Snow Dragons ....and engraved as such.
We'll be gifting some 1911 and Detonics stocks for testing later this year.
I need to live forever!!!

Thx OP
RT.

Ruger stock not inletted yet.
Wish the X frame Smiths were blued steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Check out Potassium Permanganate. On another board this was recommended to a member who makes grips and he tried it and found it to be very effective. Here are a couple of pics from that thread
Wow! PM turns water (for disinfecting) pink or deep purple if used too much.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Google "Ebonizing wood". I stained an ivory figurine (using an ebonizing solution made from #0000 steel wool, black tea and white vinegar) that started out bright white and it came out similar to this...

When making your stain, don’t leave the jar or container sealed with the steel wool inside while its undergoing the chemical reaction. This is dangerous. You put a covering over it to keep dust etc from getting inside, but you have to make sure the hydrogen gas that is a byproduct of the reaction can escape. Usually people will put a rag or similar over the top with a rubber band, or a lid with lots of holes punctured in it. After the reaction is done and the steel wool, scrap steel or nails are removed and the solution has been run through coffee filters a few times, then you can seal it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts