1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else beside me seen this mag from the people of Guns & Ammo?
It is a regular size mag all about the 1911. Has a good history, model listing and mentions DW a couple of times. Also, some storys about MOH winners with the 1911.
Well worth the $7.99 it cost.

On page 113 it says regarding "Customizing your 1911":

"The gun that fits Level One is a basic, new built Springfield, Kimber , Dan Wesson or other name brand gun that has been worked over lightly to be reliable. And it is a pistol you could win many matches with." end quote.

If you see it, take the time to read it. It is worth it not only for the DW reference but the whole 1911 story.

All the best,

Art

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also:

Check out page 14. It shows the Model 1909 which was a prototype of the 1911 WITH an external extractor. What goes around comes around I guess.
As I had said, A very interesting mag.

All the best,

Art

·
Registered
88 Posts
Been there-

-done that, got the t-shirt and made the video.
Loved the 'commander' section, the 'skin' section, and the
ballistics section. What a nice magazine at a nice time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got it as well, good magazine. I was happy to see the mentioning of DW.

Anyone else notice in the story of the two Spec Ops guys in the Afgan cave....the guy w/9mm shot a 160 grain bullet, I guess it may have gotten through editing, but then I am no ballistician, can a 9mm fire a 160 grain?? Without referencing the story, I believe they mention two different 9's.

Anyway, good reading none the less.

As a 10mm fan, good to see some 10mm run, even that Devel dude made one.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
"The gun that fits Level One is a basic, new built Springfield, Kimber , Dan Wesson or other name brand gun that has been worked over lightly to be reliable. And it is a pistol you could win many matches with."
I find it difficult to lend credence to any writer that can talk about 1911s without mentioning COLT! :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
G&A 1911 magazine

Got it, read, loved it.
E-mailed a friend in Austraila, he can't get it so will send him a copy from here.
Fuzzy

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AFMan:

There are pages of good stuff about Colt in the magazine, just not in that particular sentence.

Art

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can't find the mag.

Noklue3, (or anyone),

I'm having trouble locating a source, (on the web) for the magazine you mentioned..... No luck on the 'Guns and Ammo' site.

I already have a book, not magazine, called: "the Gun Digest Book of the 1911', By Patrick Sweeney. This book has a permanent place by my reading chair but I don't think it is the same one.

Maybe I'll try Wallmarts. I had given up on any store handling gun magazines. (They've got room for all kinds of Craft or Sex but, "No room', for us.)

Any help finding this mag appreciated. Also, any National stores carry gun magazines? (Amazon's not bad).

·
Registered
88 Posts
rrobert-

-try one of the book store chains. I don't know what you have up
north but Books-a-Million, Barnes & Noble, and a store hear called
Hastings all have the issue. Haven't checked but even maybe
Amazon might have it off the internet.

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a magazine. I got mine a Wal-Mart. Saw them at Krogers also. The full name is : Guns & Ammo(very small)-Then: " The Complete Book of the 1911" in big white letters. No date on it but it does say "Display until 3-23-04"

rroberrt: Sweeney has a couple articles in the mag.

Art

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
IIRC, this isn't the first one of these. In the last decade, there have been two or three "Complete book of the .45" mags, and, I believe at least 1 other "Book of the 1911". Blue cover on the last one? Gotta go sort through the stacks of stuff...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'ts a magazine-

-Entitled

THE COMPLETE
BOOK OF THE 1911

On the left side of the title -Guns&Ammo is printed
on the cover is a picture of (what I think is) an original Colt 1911,
(the Colt guys know more about the vintage than I do) and
a box of ammo.
Underneath the title it has-
AMERICA'S FAVORITE
AUTO PISTOL
other headlines include-
.45 AUTOS FOR COPS

THE GOVERNMENT
MODEL AT WAR

GALLERY OF
CUSTOM GUNS
IN COLOR

BUYER'S
GUIDE:
etc.

Sorry for the p*ss poor description. That's kind of the layout.
Runs $7.99 in the magazine racks.

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts