1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my friend was debating me on it..He is sure they are same.So arent they same.Both are used interchangebly.Also there is something called facial vision.Any idea.Anyone with that experience in shooting.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
They are not the same. You can have a bore of say .308 inch, and have many different calibers that shoot that projectile. they are not interchangable terms.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Ok my friend was debating me on it..He is sure they are same.So arent they same.Both are used interchangebly.Also there is something called facial vision.Any idea.Anyone with that experience in shooting.
What is the bore on a .38 caliber revolver, What is the bore on a a .357 caliber revolver?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I have heard bore and gauge used interchangeably with shotguns, and do not believe this to be correct usage either.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I believe when referencing guns & / or firearms, they are considered the same in modern definition.
OK then answer the question I posted in post #3 of this thread.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,528 Posts
For centerfire metallic cartridges, I take "bore" to refer to the specs for the barrel for a given caliber; .38 Special has a bore of .357".

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
For centerfire metallic cartridges, I take "bore" to refer to the specs for the barrel for a given caliber; .38 Special has a bore of .357".
Exactly my point, the bore is .357 but caliber is .38 so the bore is not the same as the caliber.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
The more you learn about any field of knowledge that has a technical component, the more terms that you will find being used either incorrectly or imprecisely in casual/common usage.

Witness the interchangeable useage of clip/magazine for the object that contains cartridges and detaches from a firearm.

Or the use of the word bullets to refer to complete cartridges. And the more recent spelling variation of "boolits" to differentiate cast lead (boolits) from projectiles of different construction (bullets).

Gently informative correction sometimes works, debating seldom does.

There are so many cartridge names that reference bore size inaccurately or confusingly-38 Special/.357 Mag being the easy example that Silvercorvette points out, .44 Magnum caliber with a true bore size of .429 is another and don't even let me get started on the old black powder cartridge designations like .44-40 Winchester(@ .427) or .38-40 Winchester (@.401)-that debating accuracy of teminology is usually a waste of breath.

Don't know a thing about "facial vision". Google thinks it's perception of physical objects using the nerves of the face by either blind or blindfolded folk. Sounds a little like "Spidey sense" to me, but I'm old and skeptical.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
OK then answer the question I posted in post #3 of this thread.
I can't answer your query, but maybe you should google "bore, caliber, & calibre".
Comes under the heading of the "build a man a fire and he will stay warm for a night, but set the man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life". Or something like that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
One of the definitions in Wikipedia for caliber is "the approximate internal diameter of the barrel". Further down, it mentions artillery caliber as the length of the barrel as a multiple of barrel diameter i.e. a 4 inch 50 caliber would be a 4 inch diameter barrel 200 inches long. Apparently, for handguns, caliber and bore are approximately the same.

I am not an expert, but I read pretty good.

Rusty Bolts

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I can't answer your query, but maybe you should google "bore, caliber, & calibre".
Comes under the heading of the "build a man a fire and he will stay warm for a night, but set the man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life". Or something like that.
Go back and read post #9

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
One of the definitions in Wikipedia for caliber is "the approximate internal diameter of the barrel". Further down, it mentions artillery caliber as the length of the barrel as a multiple of barrel diameter i.e. a 4 inch 50 caliber would be a 4 inch diameter barrel 200 inches long. Apparently, for handguns, caliber and bore are approximately the same.

I am not an expert, but I read pretty good.

Rusty Bolts
Go back and read post #9

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Exactly my point, the bore is .357 but caliber is .38 so the bore is not the same as the caliber.
There is a reason that a modern ".38 caliber" bullet has a bore of .357 inches rather than .38".

Originally; .38 caliber cartridges contained a bullet that was approximately .38" but that bullet was a "heeled bullet" in which the bullet diameter was the same as the metallic cartridge's exterior diameter.

Eventually the use of heeled bullets was discontinued as ammunition design progressed and the bullet diameter was decreased to fit completely inside the brass case which retained its original diameter of .38".

The only surviving example of a heeled bullet is the .22 LR rimfire.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have heard bore and gauge used interchangeably with shotguns, and do not believe this to be correct usage either.
The gauge of a shotgun describes the number of lead balls the diameter of the barrel, that it would take to weight a pound.

12 gauge......12 balls to the pound.

20 gauge...... 20 balls to the pound.

28 gauge.......28 balls to the pound.

.410 bore refers to the approximate interior barrel diameter.

·
Registered
22,351 Posts
The bore diameter of a .308 rifle is not .308".
The bore diameter of a .357 magnum is not .357".
The bore diameter of a .44 magnum is not .429"
Etc.

The bore diameter is the size of the hole drilled and reamed through the barrel blank before the rifling is cut.
The bore diameter of a .308 rifle is .300". Or .30", whence ".30 caliber."
The GROOVE diameter is .308".
The bore diameter of a .357 magnum is .346".
The GROOVE diameter is .357" or more likely .358".
The bore diameter of a .44 magnum is .417".
The GROOVE diameter is .429".

American practice is to make bullets of groove diameter. But you could measure a lot of older European firearms and find the groove diameter larger than the bullet, they wanted a place for the bullet metal displaced by the rifling to go.

Note that a lot of designations DO give the actual bore diameter, like .30-30, .30-06, .300 Magnum and most metric calibers. The Lazzeroni lineup sounds odd because they give the groove/bullet diameter in millimeters instead of the bore.

It is not that there is no pattern for caliber designations, it is that there are several of them and you just have to learn to recognize which you are looking at.

The old convention was that the Caliber was the bore diameter but there are so many cartridges to name that the ad agencies have run amuck.
Frex, .218 Bee, .219 Zipper, .220 Swift, .221 Fireball, .222 Remington, .223 Remington, .224 Weatherby, and .225 Winchester ALL have .224" groove and bullet diameters. But the .22 Hornet (old) and .22 Savage do not.

Now, isn't that more fun than showing a beginner how smart you are by explaining the difference between "clip" and "magazine?"

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
And all of this goes out the window when we are talking about Navy gun caliber.

A 5 inch 38 caliber is different than a 5 inch 54 caliber.

In Navy guns, the CALIBER is diameter of the bore, AND the ratio of the bore diameter to the gun length.

So a 5 inch 38 has a gun length of 5 x 38 or 190 inches and a 5 inch 54 has a gun length of 270 inches. But both guns have the same bore diameter.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,528 Posts
I didn't see the word "diameter" in the thread starter? Only if you add "diameter" can you introduce a distinction between bore diameter and groove diameter; in general, the inside of the barrel is the bore, and while I can cite the groove diameter of most popular cartridges off the top of my head, I don't know the bore diameter of any cartridge. :hrm:

·
Registered
22,351 Posts
The OP heading is "Bore and caliber are same"
Question mark implied by the post.

Caliber is a measurement and is defined as the bore diameter... by one of those several systems as used by Winchester and the US Army.

In post #7 you yourself say ".38 Special has a bore of .357"." which is specifically not so.
.38 Special has a bore of .346".
Or at least that is what SAAMI says and the guy who grinds the reamer thinks.

True, that is not of ordinary interest or use... unless you are loading paper patched bullets for one of the real old timers.

I consider the distinction of more importance than the usual Internet Quibble of "clip" vs "magazine."

1 - 20 of 37 Posts