1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What products do you use to clean the bores of your 1911s? I usually just spray the barrel with CLP and afterwards wipe it down with some Hoppes No. 9 soaked rags.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I'm sure everyone has their own method that works.

I usually soak a patch in Hoppes #9 and then run it through the bore till it's good and soaked, then I lay it down until after i've cleaned the rest of the gun. I'm a firm believer in using clean patches and the appropriately sized jag. I push clean patches through one at a time and only once each, until I get a clean patch. Then AFAIK it's clean.

I'll then spray the outside with a light coat of FP-10 before re-assembling the gun.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I clean the bore with Hoppe's # 9. Wet patch, jag and wire brush and then patches again until it's clean. Then I clean the rest of the gun with CLP and lube the bore and with rest of the gun with FP10.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I like Ed's Red for normal cleaning. If I have some leading I use a copper chore boy first and then Ed's Red.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
when I bother (which ain't often)

I use Prolix and RB-17.
NO stainless 'tornado' brushes....

·
Registered
365 Posts
:D I soak the barrel in little vat of Kroil whilst cleaning the rest of the pistol. Then a few passes with the Lewis Lead Remover/a little copper brush action and patches with Kroil 'til the barrel innards are sparkly clean.

Five minutes (barrel) tops.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Shooter's Choice.

I use Shooter's Choice. It works like Hoppes used to before the company got sold to Michaels' of Oregon and they made it cheaper. Wet patch, let it set while I clean the rest of the pistol, nylon brush a few times, dry patch.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I prefer Shooter's Choice for bore cleaning. It's what works best for me. Recently I tried M-Pro 7 Bore Gel, was not impressed. I cleaned per instructions on the bottle then followed up with SC. The M-Pro 7 left a lot of crud behind.

Tex

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Shooter's Choice solvent, bronze bore brush, and patches.
Sometimes a little J-B bore paste.

When I'm lazy, I squirt a little Shooter's Choice on a Bore Snake and pull it through a few times.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I now swear by a Jag and a good bore brush along with some Tipton's Kleen Bore. I may get flamed for this also but Buy name Brand Jags,Brush's ect!
I think its like anything else you get what you pay for! It took me a while to figure this out myself... Turn loose of that extra money to buy quality products..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts