1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else use the bore snakes? i love mine, it makes cleaning a snich. i never put oil on the snake since it cleans it so well dry. what are your thoughts?

also, i use breakfree on all my pistols, but does the grease i see at gun shows really make the slide and frame slide that much better?? i almost bought some of wilsons gun lube or whatever, does it improve things that much????

russel the cop

·
Registered
941 Posts
Russ, I too love Bore Snakes..I just put a dab of EEZOX on the snakes tail..I have one for every caliber I own...I use Rigg +P grease on my slide rails...Works really well...Never have to worry about the gun running dry...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool,

what type of grease seems to work? besides the one you already mentioned, the only other i have seen is the wilson.

also, does the grease atract much more dirt than breakfree. i clean my gun more than i shoot, since its my duty weapon.

thanks guys

·
Registered
691 Posts
Originally posted by traevin:
Yep. I now have bore snakes for .223, 9mm, and .308. Guess which caliber is next on my list
I'll take a guess or two. 5.56mm? .357? or how about 7.62?

------------------
-Electric Armadillo

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use the boresnake on my 1911 and put breakfree on the portion in front of the built-in brushes. The only product I use on the pistol is Breakfree. Cleans, lubricates, & protects. What else do you need?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by gunny:
I use the boresnake on my 1911 and put breakfree on the portion in front of the built-in brushes. The only product I use on the pistol is Breakfree. Cleans, lubricates, & protects. What else do you need?
Bullets and lots of 'em

Ross T.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Is lithium grease a good lubricant for any part of a 1911? I have a tube of it here that I use on the legs of my steel guitar to make sure they screw in easily.

------------------
Everybody makes a lemon at one time or another. Hell, God made my ex-wife, and did a lousy job!

Mikey D

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I use Wilson's grease. It is a lithium based with some supposed additives that make it that much better. I doubt the additives do anything truly significant.

I like grease because it doesn't take much as it doesn't run out of the muzzle end of your gun when you carry. On the downside, some people have noted that grease is not the best idea for very cold environments because the grease will stiffen and hence runin the functioning of the gun until the gun gets warm. For IWB carry, that probably is not an issue, but for OWB, it would be.

Buy a tube of the Wilson stuff for the simple reason of just getting the little hypodermic. You can later refill it with the grease of your choice. I got a giant tube of lithium grease for $3 that contained about 50 times as much as the tube of Wilson's grease. So save the hypo. It is really handy. That being said, at the rate I am using the Wilson grease out of this one tube, I estimate it will be two-three years, relubing after cleaning each will, before I finish the first tube.

If you can, find a copies of Wilson's new gun video that shows you how to properly lube your gun with the grease. It really on takes a minimal amount. With over 600 rounds spread over two weeks without refreshing the grease, my gun never ran dry, never leaked grease, and there was still plenty of grease present when I field stripped the gun.

In regard to Boresnakes, THEY ROCK!

[This message has been edited by Double Naught Spy (edited 05-07-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts