1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I already read some about these on here using the search, but I want one clarification. Has anybody had any success using one as their only method of cleaning the bbl? Or is it only good for a quick clean up at the range, still requiring to be thoroughly cleaned at home? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I've had no trouble with mine. I generally use them for shotguns and occassionally for some rifles or pistols. I usually run a few patches of CLP through first. Then I pour a good amount on the bore snake in front of the bristles, then pull it through. Mine all seem pretty tight though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
needed more

My bore snake misses stuff. I had to work on some tough copper fouling recently. I use it only at the range and if I will shoot consecutive days where I do not want to break it down. There is really no advantage to a bore snake if you are field striped at home. The only advantage is that they are portable and easily used. This means a range bag use for me.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I use it on my pistols. It does very well but only if I attach the loop on a stationary object such as a door knob, remove the barrel from the gun and run it back and forth on the snake. Gets it nice and shiny. I run a clean patch with lube on it afterward anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bore Snakes are an excellent tool to take to the range or for a quick cleaning, but not a tool for a good scrubing. A good friend said he now cleans all his guns with them, I immediately invited him into my reloading/cleaning room with one of his clean barrel's. Gave his "clean" barrel a good scrubbing and then passed the patches thru and WHOA! Lots of sludge, and he was very suprised! My two sons were using them frequently and when I discovered what they were doing I brought both of them and showed them the same procedure. Don't get me wrong, as I do feel the bore snake is good for a quick range cleaning. Wished I would have thought of the snake invention.
Bill

·
Registered
53 Posts
Borebrush

******, In my opinion, ENGINEERBILL is right on the money.
There is a time and a place for the boresnake, and a time for a through cleaning.
Try a little Blue Wonder gun cleaner and let me know what happened.
It really seems to get into the micro-pores and find stuff a good bronze bush will miss.

Armayor

·
Registered
774 Posts
Use a 22cal bore snake to clean out the tract, channel, whatever you call the place where the extractor goes. Works much better than Q-tips or pipe cleaners. This can be a tight fit with a brandnew bore snake, so you may need to use a bore snake that you've been using to clean 22 barrels.

Try it, you'll never go back to your old method.

Rob S

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Bore snakes are better than nothing, and have the advantage of going through the barrel when it's warm, assuming you use them just after shooting, but they mostly just "wipe" the barrel, since the bronze bore brush section of the bore snake is short, nowhere near as rigid as a typical bore brush, and passes only once through the barrel with each complete bore snake pass.

I've never found that they make thorough cleaning afterward either easier or shorter, so I consider them simply a "field expedient" cleaning method, for use when regular cleaning will be delayed or left undone for some reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.