1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found locally this Colt 1917 today.....made in 1918, and thought to show some pics to those interested. Looks like a good, honest example. It's lockup is just outstanding......

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow, that thing looks super. If I ran up on that, the plastic would hit the counter, Christmas looming or not. What a classic. They REALLY don't make 'em like that anymore. Congrats on your aquisition.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine was made in 1912 and issued to the Postal Service in the 1920's.

For those of you that don't know the 1917 is a Military Designation and it's actually the Colt New Service Model. Mine has the 1917 Stamping on the frame, by the lanyard loop, as they all do if they are the "real thing".

Congrats on a great gun. Mine's a great Single Action shooter, don't care for the D.A. much in this gun. It's smooth, but very heavy.

Biker

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Here are two of my current crop of 1917s.

Before: 1917: After market nickel, poorly fitted grips.

After: Stripped, reblued, and American Elk grips.

Very Good 1917 original from vintage gun dealer

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Very nice pistols! I have a spot reserved in my safe for one.....

·
Banned
380 Posts
I have always liked the New Service in .45, of course I like the S&W version of the 1917 too. I grew up on the Colt DA trigger pull which is a little different than that of the competitor. Decades ago I had a Colt 1917 with a custom 3" barrel and a rounded grip. A serious pocket pistol. Sold to pay rent decades ago, I have always mourned that choice. It is out there somewhere, but I am sure the current owner wants more than the $200 I sold it for. I also like the Tyler T-grip on my current 1917. They are lovely camp guns. In .45 it is very hard to beat a New Service as a 'bump in the night' pistol. A short barreled M-25-5 does come close though..

Some of mine...

·
Banned
380 Posts
I had a chance to buy one of those a half decade ago, A 4 inch, but in .357. Missed the chance (i.e., a few bucks short that week). Parkerized with a lanyard loop and British import stamps as well as the Broad Arrow. A true Battle of Britain piece. Sigh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts