1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded + cash into this Hi Power Practical 9mm. It is in about 95% condition I would say. I don't know a ton about these pistols but I loved the 2 tone look of tbis model and always wanted one. The gentleman I bought it from claims his dad owned two of these identical pistols and sent them both to Lou Williamson for trigger work a while back. Unfortunately he doesn't have any paperwork to confirm it. But the trigger is super sweet and the mag disconnect no longer works in this pistol. I imagine if Lou is still in business I might be able to get confirmation through the serial #.
Anyways not that big a deal to me. I got it with 2 15 rd mags and 3 10 rd mags. And altogether I am about $825 into it. I don't care if I overpaid. I like it and it is classy in my book.
A few questions. Any idea the years these where made? Would a slide refinish be a bad idea? And would checkering the front strap be a bad idea? I noticed the serial# on this model is not on the front strap. But the right side of the frame. Anyways heres some pics.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Welcome to the club ;)

'90 through present...though Browning hasn't imported them for something like 10 years now.

Slide is the "Epoxy" finish used on the MkIII, which can obviously be stripped and refinished as desired.

If post '93...grips would indicate it is, it'll likely be built on the cast frame which "may" be checkered...usually 40lpi, though stippling is usually preferred. AND, the frame is "Silver Chrome" which would likely have to be stripped before checkering to save wear on the cutter...and then refinished.

The SN was moved from the frontstrap to the "old" location below the ejection port for both the Practical and Silver Chrome Models in order to accommodate the Pachs which both models came with.

FWIW, the pistol is missing the backstrap piece that originally came with the Pachs.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I like it! Does that ring hammer bite?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Very Nice,and I don't think that price is out of line for a clean Practical now days. I've owned 3, two with forged frame and a '93 transitional model with cast frame. My '93 gun was one of the early cast frame guns that did not have the serrations on the bottom of the mag well. What is the two letter code in the serial number? That will give you year of production for your gun. I wouldn't refinish that slide until it really needs it. I've found that factory epoxy finish to be a durable one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very Nice,and I don't think that price is out of line for a clean Practical now days. I've owned 3, two with forged frame and a '93 transitional model with cast frame. My '93 gun was one of the early cast frame guns that did not have the serrations on the bottom of the mag well. What is the two letter code in the serial number? That will give you year of production for your gun. I wouldn't refinish that slide until it really needs it. I've found that factory epoxy finish to be a durable one.
Thanks for the input. The 2 letters in my serial number is NW.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice gun. I like the hammer and two tone look. I feel the price is fair especially if it has the trigger reworked professionally. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Welcome to the club ;)

'90 through present...though Browning hasn't imported them for something like 10 years now.

Slide is the "Epoxy" finish used on the MkIII, which can obviously be stripped and refinished as desired.

If post '93...grips would indicate it is, it'll likely be built on the cast frame which "may" be checkered...usually 40lpi, though stippling is usually preferred. AND, the frame is "Silver Chrome" which would likely have to be stripped before checkering to save wear on the cutter...and then refinished..
Were there forged frame Practicals?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Were there forged frame Practicals?

That question is answered right there in the post you quoted MC. Perhaps it was lost in the shorthand manner in which I attempted to answer OP's "few questions" directly...in the order in which they were posed :eek:.

Short answer: YES :).

The earliest Practicals I'm aware of were dated to '90...I own one ;).

Practicals from '90 into '93, were all forged frame pistols.

I put it that way because in '93 the cast frame was introduced, BUT FN continued producing BHPs...including the Practical Model, with existing forged frames...right alongside the new cast frames. This went on...in diminishing numbers, until existing forged frame stock was exhausted...as late as '95.

OPs NW dated Practical...being a '94, could be either forged or cast and might...or might not, have the striations normally machined on the butt that indicate a cast frame. Even if there are no striations on the butt, said pistol could still be a cast frame as some early cast frame BHPs were not striated. In that case one should search for the casting mark inside/top right of the magazine well.

No such thing as a simple answer from me huh? :eek:;):D.....

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have both the round commander hammer and a spur hammer Hi Power. The spur always has a little bite on my beefy hands and some slimmer folks hands as well. The round hammer is much better and rarely bites anyone. You can shorten the spur hammer if you want but the round hammer would be more difficult to modify and look right.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't gotten any bite thus far. And judging by the serrations on the heel of the pistol I am guessing it is cast. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
That question is answered right there in the post you quoted MC.
That's true. I think what I really wanted to do was repeat a question that I asked in another thread, to wit, what is the date range for production of the Practical?

The earliest Practicals I'm aware of were dated to '90...I own one ;).
I gather from this post that the answer is early '90s up to when they stop importing them to USDM. But, apparently, they are still being produced for other markets, and, if reintroduced to the USDM, could cause a drop in value of the used Practical market.

Practicals from '90 into '93, were all forged frame pistols.
Is there any correlation between the frame (forged or cast) and the hammer (spur or ring)?

In that case one should search for the casting mark inside/top right of the magazine well.
What does this casting mark look like? Is it a letter of the alphabet or a symbol like a triangle?

Many thanks, submoa.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
New answer to that common question - pictures were compared.

If you have really beefy hands, might bite regardless of spur or rowel. Although my brother the heavy duty mechanic, with hands more like a baseball mitt, crushes the grip when shooting handguns and doesn't get bit by a HP.

For normal hands, if you shoot thumbs high/up, then that may put the skin of the web of your hand up above the tang where you might get bit. If you shoot thumbs straight forward and/or locked down by support hand, then you probably won't be one of the bitten as the skin of the web will be under tension and not puffed up above the tang.

It appears it has a lot to do with both how high you grip (and you can't get higher than the web of your hand crammed right below the tang), and whether not your grip puts the skin of the web of your hand under tension.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Let me try it this way:

That's true. I think what I really wanted to do was repeat a question that I asked in another thread, to wit, what is the date range for production of the Practical?

"'90 through present...though Browning hasn't imported them for something like 10 years now."

I gather from this post that the answer is early '90s up to when they stop importing them to USDM. But, apparently, they are still being produced for other markets, and, if reintroduced to the USDM, could cause a drop in value of the used Practical market.

Again, "'90 through present...though Browning hasn't imported them for something like 10 years now." Moot point IMHO as I doubt Browning will ever import the Practical again

Is there any correlation between the frame (forged or cast) and the hammer (spur or ring)?

No, none. Except for the concurrently produced final runs of the T series ('71/'72), the ring hammer was abandoned in regular production in '71. The return of the ring hammer is one of the signature features specific to the Practical Model...again in '90. But for the frame, a forged frame '90 Practical Model looks the same as a cast frame '93 Practical Model.

What does this casting mark look like? Is it a letter of the alphabet or a symbol like a triangle?

This:

Many thanks, submoa.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Here's what the current production FN Practicals and Silver Chromes look like.

Note the low mounted LPA adjustable sights. This is something that we have not seen on Browning-imported Practicals and Silver Chromes.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts