1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Bitter Clinger / Liberty Keeper
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a Type 56 SKS tonight from a dealer I've done business with many times and trust. Has a 20" barrel, imported by B-West, and an aftermarket stock and magazine.

Should be a good partner for my Yugo type 59/66.

It will be here in about a week and I look forward to giving it a workout. Has matching numbers in bolt, receiver and trigger group.

I may order a spring loaded firing pin to put in the bolt (I put one in my Yugo years ago)... To avoid slam fires.

Don't know if that is "true" or "rumor" (SKS tendency to slam fire) but I shoot the Yugo more confidently with it installed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
+ I'm not an expert but I've experienced issues with bits of primer working its way into the bolt and interfering with the firing pins ability to move freely (assuming this causes slam firing issues)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the exact twin to your rifle.

It was one of the very first firearms I ever bought, back when they were $99 covered in goo at just about any table at the gun show.

It was in the original orange wood stock/fixed 10rd mag when I bought it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thank you

But I couldn't tell even with the link

View attachment 617464

Try this one

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Picked up the rifle and installed the Murray’s spring loaded firing pin that arrived too

Has 5.5lb trigger pull according to my Wheeler gauge

Not one Chinese character on the rifle I can find (of course... it could be hiding under the aftermarket stock somewhere)

Stamped with -

Made in China by Norinco
7.62x39 Sporter
B-West Tuc. AZ

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Wood Tread Gas Curtain Automotive tire

The folding stock is quite cool

The aftermarket stock and mag have absolutely no brand markings

Only “patent pending”

Next up... range time

·
Registered
59 Posts
The mag is a Cobray and the stock was made by Combat Exchange. My experience is that the mag will work as long as it is not fully loaded, but thankfully, mine also came with the original box magazine and stock.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Will have to look
Pressed (on this Norinco Type 56) (although I can't see the pin anywhere if it is pinned)

Threaded (on my Yugo type 59/66)

Pretty easy to tell the difference once I looked at them both

·
Administrator
75,199 Posts
You're not going to find Chinese characters stamped on the commercial export SKS rifles (military guns always had the threaded barrel and milled parts). I used to have a Norinco SKS with the orange wood stock but with the bayonet removed (importers started taking them off to appease the ATF in the early 90's), and later I had a PolyTech Legend AK-47 in all its milled-receiver glory. I kinda miss the SKS, but I REALLY miss the AK especially seeing what they're worth nowadays. I can't remember if the AK had any Chinese markings on it or not. Being a semi-auto meant for export I suspect it was stamped with English markings instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts