1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says I purchased a http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411539799/Rock+Island+Armory+1911+Tactical+45+ACP+5%22+Parkerized yesterday. Buds had them for $349.00 so I couldn't pass on on it. I don't have a lot of experience with 1911s but I've been shooting and carrying handguns for 20 years. I own a SA GI model that's been trouble since I bought it. What can I expect from the RIA? As you can see from my join date and post count I get a little wordy:dope: Anyway looking forward to getting my hands on it, hoping it functions better than my springer as I would like to carry it.

Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sounds like you scored a real deal on that one. RIA's are solid guns with a lifetime warranty and reportedly great customer service. I guess I would do a detail strip and clean off all the anti rust goop.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read the MSH on these are plastic. This true and has there been any issues with this? Or is it just more "OMFG THE MSH IS PLASTIC!!!!!!!!" Non-issue panic?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Bought an entry level Springfield at a gunshow 5 years ago. Two weeks later I bought an entry level RIA at another gunshow. Shot the Springfield two, three times and sold it at another gunshow. The RIA is one of my favorites, and probably will never be sold.

Bob

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I have read the MSH on these are plastic. This true and has there been any issues with this? Or is it just more "OMFG THE MSH IS PLASTIC!!!!!!!!" Non-issue panic?
I've never noticed a plastic MSH on a RIA? Colt, on the other hand, has been using plastic, even on some of their higher end products for over 20 years.

Bob

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never noticed a plastic MSH on a RIA? Colt, on the other hand, has been using plastic, even on some of their higher end products for over 20 years.

Bob
Like I said I read it on the old interwebs so I wasn't sure. Don't know how much of a issue it would be anyway. Thanks

·
Registered
803 Posts
I just got a RIA bottom half (no slide or barrel). It has a plastic checkered MSH. If yours is grooved it is metal, if checkered it is probably plastic. I have a Kimber with a plastic MSH. I have owned the gun about 5 years with no issues.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Other than checkering not as grippy as the metal one, no.

I see them as perfectly serviceable.
But I do change them with Metal one - Mainly because I like magwell/MSH on all my 1911's.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've owned a RIA Tactical for a few years and haven't had any problems. Aside from wearing out the recoil spring, after 1100-1200 rounds, and replacing it. It eats everything. Steel cased, aluminum cased, brass cased, FMJ, JHP, FMJFP, no issues. Love it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an Armscor Citadel 1911 A1 FS. This 1911 is distributed by Legacy Sports International. I did a trade and got a great deal for mine at a gun broker. These are great reliable guns! I have not yet fully broke it in yet. I have had one minor issue with it. The sear spring where it attaches to the magwell was just a few thousandths to long. This caused the mag to drag when inserting or removing it. The solution for me was to just file a little at a time down until the clearence was enough to allow proper function.
Rocks are made by the same company and are very well made. I will endorse them anytime!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I sure do love my two. Great guns in every respect.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now I'm getting all excited. I dug up 500 rounds of 45 in my stash. Looking for dies and components now.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
scpd755 - aside from your awful wordiness (!) you've come to the place for Rock Island assistance and information. As Mity2 said, there really is no operational difference between polymer and steel MSH's other than the aggressiveness of the checkering and a bit of road-hugging weight (though in an all-steel handgun that almost seems like a non-issue). The plastic ones are cheaper to make for production guns and even Colt uses them in some of it's models so I guess it's more a matter of taste. The question of whether a flat MSH or an arched one is more pertinent in my opinion and besides, they are fairly inexpensive and easy to change. I own two Rock Tactical .45's, a full-sized 5" and an Officers-sized 3.5" and I must say they are both sweethearts to shoot (though I tend to prefer the little 'un). They aren't too long on flash and dash but they'll go bang every time you wish them to and put the pill where you want it. The warranty that comes with them is the best in the business bar-none and if that don't give you the warm-and-fuzzies I don't know what will! The best part is you get to call yourself a "Rockhead" without feeling faintly insulted and boost your posting-count with the rest of us here on the Rockpile.
Welcome, brother!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think Armscor is clearing out the billboard Tacs, hence the great prices. I paid just a couple dollars more for my second Tac and consider it a total steal. Heck, 6 or so years ago $425 was an excellent price for my first one. I remain convinced they're one if the best values in the 1911 market.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I'm reading a little cold blue will fix the "billboard". If the thing will go bang when I pull the trigger I really don't care if it's titty pink.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought I got a great deal from CTD, mine was $429. Get yourself a bushing tool, please, I beg you, get yourself a bushing tool. I had a heck of a time field stripping my pistol. With the help of EagleEars, I went out and bought a bushing tool, it was still a pain to field strip it and put it back together because the bushing was sooooo tight. The Parkerized finish may not be the most attractive but it sure does feel good in the hand and the trigger is nice and crisp. I cannot wait to shoot it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts