1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Springfield Model PX9105L loaded Operator today. Brought her home detail stripped and cleaned. I replaced the stock recoil spring with a Wolff 18.5lb extra power. I shot 42 rounds of 230gr ball. Took it apart and recleaned and inspected. Then shot 28 rounds of Cor-Bon 165gr +P and 28 rounds of Gold Dot 200 gr +P. Again I disassembled it and cleaned and inspected. Then I went to the local indoor range and shot 100 rounds of Blaser 230gr ball.

I never had one malfunction. The gun ran flawless. I used the factory magazines and my Wilson Combat model 47D's. I have always been a Kimber man with my Custom II and Ultra Carry II. Now I guess I am also a Sprinfield man and will have to hang out over here with the Springfield crowd as well as back with the Kimber folks:D

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mowerman said:
Sexy in all black.

I like it.
Thank you, mowerman.

I forgot to mention that the Black Rubber grips shown on the gun are ones that I installed. The Springfield came with Hogue wrap around grips. I don't like the Hogues so I found these black rubber grips that came with my Kimber Custom II. I had removed them from my Kimber when I installed wood grips on it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Accuracy

Well I shot my Operator some more today. Again the gun functioned great. However I am not very thrilled with the accuracy of this gun. :( It seems to be shooting low and to the right just a bit. The trigger break on this gun is rough and tough. Maybe this is my problem. Would I benefit much from getting rid of the ILS mainspring housing? Does this seem to clean up some of the trigger pull? Am I asking too much for accuracy out of the box like my Kimber Custom?

Here is another pic.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Dieselman:

I had the exact same problems with my Loaded Operator. The trigger was a coarse 6 3/4 lbs and the point of impact was 8 inches low at 25 yards. Imagine trying to shoot someone, aiming for center mass, and hitting him in the you know where. Not good.

I called SA, told them about the trouble, and they gave me their FedEx number and I shipped the gun back to them. I also asked that the gun go to the Custom Shop to have a short trigger installed and the trigger set to 4 1/2 pounds. It took them about five weeks, but they did everything I asked for and didn't charge me a cent for the trigger job (which was EXCELLENT, by the way) or short trigger.

Now the gun is dead-nuts accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I'd recommend returning it for warranty service.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ontarget, that is very encouraging news! I really love this gun. The fit and finish is very good (other than the trigger pull). I like the choice of components that S.A. uses. The grip safety is comfortable, I'm a lefty so the ambi. safety is very nice. The Novak tritium sights are excellent. I don't care for the mainspring housing but that is easy to change. Though I am reluctant to send this gun back to the factory right away. Reason is, I bought this gun because my Fullsize Kimber is currently in the shop and I just couldn't stand to not have a fullsize 1911 in my possesion. So I think I will wait until I get my other fullsize back before I ship this one anywhere.

Gener, glad you liked the pic. I couldn't think of a better backdrop than Old Glory herself!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a 'nused' Operator several months ago and was very impressed with the fit and accuracy.I installed the Smith and Alexander magwell/mainspring housing,as well as their cocobolo stocks.I use the ITI M6 on mine.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Dieselman:

Yeah, I agree with you about the components. The gun is very comfortable overall and well built, and the price was fair. It is now my primary duty pistol when I'm in uniform (not all that often, but often enough). I like the M3 light and find the whole package to be very handy.

Give SA a call and get an RA number so you can ship it back to them ... I hope they'll take care of you like they did me.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts