1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took a break from the custom truck modifications and went back to guns!

I have a few other toys but I wanted something that had some real knock down power. My buddy tried to get me to go with a PT 1911 from Taurus but after reading about some of the headaches from them on other boards, I decided to steer clear of them.

So instead I went with a Mil Spec .45 package. I bought it on Saturday after spending about 2 hours talking with one of the salesmen at the shop. I am going to give a shameless plug for PSS Security as the guy had an answer for every question that I had. Pulled I don't know how many guns out of the cabinet and let me look them over and point out the features of all of them.

So I hope to spend some time here and build this pistol up because I don't have anything that is stock.

Does anyone have any advice on must do modifications?

Oh yeah, I put about 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot ammo through it and then went to some range ammo. I went through 350 rounds yesterday and the gun performed flawlessly!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, sorry for the crappy phone pics. I will get some better ones with the digital camera as soon as I can.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very nice 1794. All I can say about upgradeing a mil-spec is I like Wilson Combat. Contact Matt with Wilson is you have any questions about their on line ordering or what ever... [email protected]

I added all Wilson parts except the Ed Brown MSH. :scratch:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I picked up my first SA mil-spec about 2 weeks ago. It had a different hammer and grip safety (mod done by someone else) I think it was great for a work gun. Problem is I still have the urge to modify it too. I'm going to send it off to Springfield for the work.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
While I know a Mil-Spec is a good place to start with mods, that looks like a mighty fine pistol, as is!

BTW, if I did want to modify one of my SA's, I would send it back to Springfield Armory, too.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If she shoots good, why mod.

But...if you do, contact Deb and Rob at Springfield Custom Shop.

They just did two of mine and will be getting a third soon.

Cannot find better folks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions everyone. Just like my trucks, I can't have anything stock that someone else out there could have the same setup.

But I mean it doesn't have to be a crazy mod, just something to personalize it to me.

I know that I am going to get a leather holster as the plastic one looks like it could damage the finish on the gun.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Nice weapon.....enjoy that Mil Spec.

Only one mod done to mine......a custom fitted barrel bushing that took the gun from a good shooter to a very good shooter. Everything else....still stock.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it didn't take long for me to find out that my friend's father is a big 1911 buff and has his own machine shop where he has been customizing his own guns for quite some time. So this weekend it is getting some custom trigger work and I think that will probably be the extent of it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I live in Cowpens which is near Chesnee. I take my trash to the dump every Saturday mourning and go by PSS. You probably talked to Jack or John. Ernie is the owners son and he's usually sitting to the left of the cash register at his laptop. I've bought 12 1911s and a safe there over the past 2 years.
I've actually handled your gun. When they got it in they also got a SS MilSpec, I bought the SS one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I didn't see anyone on a laptop. There were quite a few people in there. There was a tall guy there going through the Kimber's. I think he was a regular.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"But I mean it doesn't have to be a crazy mod, just something to personalize it to me. ....."

Exactly! have fun with it and make it "yours".

1911's are great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mainly at my friend's house. He is up off of exit 80.

If not I go to Rex's up in Hendersonville NC. If I am looking long range, I go to Traveler's Rest to one of my co worker's house and he had a decent sized field that we can stretch the guns out.

·
Banned
129 Posts
mitrod3 said:
Nice weapon.....enjoy that Mil Spec.

Only one mod done to mine......a custom fitted barrel bushing that took the gun from a good shooter to a very good shooter. Everything else....still stock.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:
So you kept the same barrel and just changed the front bushing?

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
rnelson11 and since1794,
I'm somewhat in your area also. I'm in Simpsonville. I got my Springfield from Traders Gun Shop and my Kimber from Blue Ridge Shooting Sports.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts