1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a used RIA officers model at my local gun store. It's my first 1911. It seems to be stock except it has checkered wood (or plastic, not sure) grips with rubber finger grooves. I took it to the range today and had a few issues. The gun shoots great! Accurate, very little recoil, nice trigger and comfortable to shoot. The only issues that I had were failures to eject. I put 120 rounds through it....50 federal and 50 UMC target rounds and 20 Winchester PDX1 hollow points with a dozen FTE's. It happened with all three types of ammo. The empty case would get hung up in the ejection port. Any of you had this Problem? And if so how did you fix it?

I guess that's one problem with buying a used gun....I don't know how many rounds it has fired, if it is broken in or not, did the previous owner change the springs and jack it up? Not sure where to start.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Spend $8.00 on a new spring, and $32.00 on a new ejector (make sure it's a series 70). You can easily replace these items yourself and you should be back in business. I love my ROCK. Welcome to the Rockpile!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ejection Issue

Very common issue for everyone until you have experience with a 1911 and especially .45 Caliber. Don't strangle the Grip, but hold it securely. Gripping too tightly will cause your hand to shake and you'll go off target. Try taking a deep breath, let part of it out, take aim and squeeze. I've been shooting 1911's since 1965 and still have to remind myself from time to time. Often occurs when Shooters grip with only one hand. The problem should go away by itself with practice.

Pretty confident when saying it has happened to virtually everyone at one time or another.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Sigboy69 - Both pieces of advice are good ones. Since you don't know how much use your pistol has had, replacing the recoil spring with a new one (Wolff is recommended) would be wise since Rock Island's springs are notoriously not very durable. And fletchwe brought up the common problem that officers-sized 1911's are very sensitive to how you grip them when firing, more so than larger models. A steel 1911 feels very much different to shoot than any polymer-pistol (no frame flex) and while the weight helps to absorb recoil, you have to have a very firm wrist position to assure reliable cycling. I have gotten to the point where I prefer the feel of my CS-Tac to the more easy-going full-sized Tactical I bought first. Work with it and replace the spring and perhaps have your extractor and ejector checked and you should do just fine. Let us know how it turns out and welcome to the Rockpile!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brownells lists a couple of Wolff springs....would you guys recommend the 22lb or 24lb spring for my compact?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Two things I would do are #1 Check your Extractor tension. I will post a Video for you.
# 2 Call Wolff Gun Springs, order a Recoil Spring # 49022.

.#1.........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENFoZPF2-FM

# 2.... http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/COLT/OFFICERS MODEL/cID1/mID1/dID69#788

RIA pistols are the same design as Series 70 Colt.

Your recoil spring is the same a colt officers, full sized Dia. guide rod.
order the spring no matter what, do it first, it will come with a new FP spring free. if you have trouble, just post back, someone will help you......:rock:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Spend $8.00 on a new spring, and $32.00 on a new ejector (make sure it's a series 70). You can easily replace these items yourself and you should be back in business. I love my ROCK. Welcome to the Rockpile!
Ejector? I think he needs Extractor...

As was mentioned, I'd replace all springs - Specially the recoil spring.
CS are known to eats up the recoil spring.
My Recoil spring was not good after 500 rounds on my CS.
I ordered few to have it as a spare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts