1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a old 1911 and have several questions that I'm hoping someone out there can answer for me. On the right side of the slide it says MODEL OF 1911.U.S. ARMY. On the right side of the frame it says No 1930XX. On the left isde of the slide it says PATENTED APR.20.1897 SEPT 9. 1902 DEC.19.1905 FEB14.1911.AUG 19.1913 COLT'S PT. FA. MFG CO. HARTSFORD. CT. U.S.A. then at the very rear of the slide it has the horse symbol. On the left side of the frame it says UNITED STATES PROPERTY AA GHS IN A CIRCLE. In the area where the hammer hits the firing pin there is a H and if you open the slide all the way on top of the frame are the letters H D and S. The pistol has been parkerized at some point. I was told by the seller that the gun was made in 1917 and was arsenal refinished at the Augusta Arsenal (hince the AA stamp). He also told me that the GHS and H stamps are inspector stamps and that the D found on top of the frame indicates it was a Gov't contract piece. What does the S mean? The gun is in excellent condition. What is a fair price for me to offer for this piece. Oh also the barrel is stamped HS which I was told meant High Standard. ANY INFO. GREATLY APPRECIATED. TIA-FIB

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,221 Posts
All of the info that you have jibes with references that I have. The "S" is another inspector's mark, but I don't know whose. Guns like your were going for $500 a couple of years ago, but I see them now pushing $1000. Since there are so few original guns around, even the arsenal reworks are becoming collectible. It seems a bit much to ask a collector to determine if a gun was actually refinished by a government arsenal, or is a good re-refinish, but that's where things stand today.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The AA is for Augusta Arsenal, that means it is an arsenal rebuild

THE H, D, and S are Inspector, Assembler, and the (S)gun was originally manufactured for commercial sale if no G is present (it was common for Colt to pull a commercial receiver to complete a governmant order), if G is present by disconnector on top of receiver then the "S" could mean it was field serviced. Other thing to note if the S is stamped before or after finish. I have example pictures of all these stamps on my site located at end of mail.
RE: Barrel, it is a replacement government barrel from WWII period, standard in remington rands and ithaca WWII 1911s. Was added during rebuild. Price? I would guess 550 to 700 depending on condition. I bought a 1919 Colt AA for $550 3 months ago that was also a Brit stamped gun.
Cheers
------------------
Thanks
Ty www.CoolGunSite.com

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Ty very excellent and informal website. Finally an accurate website with actual historical facts.

FIB on a good day your gun could fetch up to $1200. Many non refinished out there for sale right now. But hold on to it, and if you decide to fire some rounds. Clean the barrel and breech right away. Don't leave an old 1911 dirty. It is more susceptible to damage and corrosion.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
One other note on AA rebuilds.
I have seen two types come out. One is where primarily the gun was left in its 1911 configuration (flat main spring, long trigger, short tang) this is usually an idication it was a early rebuild 1941-42 time frame (only replaced slide, barrel, and grips)they where in a hurry to get this guns out and into the action. If this gun hasnt been reconfigured completly to a 1911A1 it would also fetch a higher value...just an fyi...
Redzone - Glad you liked the site, thanks.
Ty

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,431 Posts
Ty-
I just checked out your Website. It's pretty cool, with lots of room for future growth. I'll just have to make a link to yours on my own Website http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1 Since I'm also in the NW maybe we'll see each other at a future WAC show.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 04-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
DSK-
Checked out your site, very nice. I added it to my links page. Heading to the WAC show bright and early tomorrow at the P-fairgrounds. Love to hook-up some time and talk guns.
Cheers
Ty

------------------
Thanks
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
73,431 Posts
BTW of the guns in your stable I'd have to say my favorite is your US&S M1911A1. But I might also mention it's supposed to be Union Switch & Signal, not United. The last WAC gunshow I went to in February actually had four of them for sale, all in 95% or better condition. Prices ranged from $1,600 to $2,200 so it shows there still is quite a fluctuation going on.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
thanks, got that changed never realized i was typing united...

Yah I have seen two my self one I would rate a 95 at 2200 and one that was a very iffy 98 at 2900. This where both all correct (I got to take them apart and inspect). I hadnt seen any at WAC though I did see a slide at the fairgounds today for 500.00. Kind of an expensive paper weight. My fav is the 1919 Colt/Ithaca AA (it has a cool story with it) and the Remington UMC and the..... :)
Cheers
Ty

------------------
Thanks
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
73,431 Posts
Too bad it wasn't really marked United, because you'd be rich.

Gun shows are one of the best places to find GI guns, but the worst for price. The worst example I saw was an Ithaca paperweight for $800. I doubt the thing was even shootable. Then to see a whole bunch of US&S pistols for a good price just drove me nuts, for the tax man ate my last roll of spare cash and it was another case of being there at the wrong time. Oh, at the same time a 1924 Transitional sold on AA recently for $2,800, which at today's rate is a bargain.

I won't even get into the arsenal rebuilds. I've noticed they're typically reaching the $1,000 mark even when it can't be proven if they're genuine or not.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,221 Posts
I missed the show this weekend, but if you guys frequent, maybe we could hook-up at John Holbrook's table and chew the fat for a while next month?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts