1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Kansas City Cabela's this morning and for the first time since things went south I bought primers and powder! I had purchased 10,000 primers and several pounds of powder and had been rationing them out for the past few years so I have been able to shoot so I had not been really looking. Today as I walked into the gun section a clerk was filling the powder shelf. He said UPS just delivered it and he had a whole cart of powder so I got Titegroup for $21 per pound and CCI primers for $27 per thousand! I'm goin to order bullets now and replenish my 9MM & .38 Special!

They had a sign saying they were looking for seasonal help, and since I just retired I'm May I'm thinking of applying for a job...nothing like having instant access to supplies!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Yes, our local Wally World employees buy everything up as it comes in and then you will see them at the gun show reselling it.:mad:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If that's the Cabela's at the Legends, I've been finding pistol powder in there the last three times...Power Pistol and Red Dot, two of my favorites.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that the prices were very reasonable. I was going to get bullets as well, but they wanted $56 for Berry's plated and I cat get 500 from Precision for $36and free shipping. It pays to shop around!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good looking has nothing to do with it😃 Check out Precision Bullets, 500 coated 125 grain. 9mms for $36 shipped. That's a good deal for good bullets!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Then you must be pretty good looking. :rolleyes:
Good looking has nothing to do with it�� Check out Precision Bullets, 500 coated 125 grain. 9mms for $36 shipped. That's a good deal for good bullets!
I think Merchant Marine was thinking what we all think. You got a good deal and we're jealous.

Yes, go apply for a job if you want to work at a big store. A local fellow did the same after his retirement, he's a shooter and reloader and he knows his stuff. We customers are thrilled. He's like a huge fresh breath of air after all these years. It's up to you, maybe it works for you. :)

We've been getting Winchester for $24 per thou at gun shows, no more than $3.70 per hundred at local shops. Not inconceivable that CCI for $27 can happen.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
How do you know this? Most Wal-Mart employees don't strike me as being smart enough to do that.
In our region, typical Wally employees (bless 'em) don't know reloading from from Shinola in the shoe department. They aren't buying up anything for gun shows, they don't even know what it's used for. Bless 'em, they are nice folk. But I agree with JB. The assertion that Wally employees are buying up merchandise and taking them to gun shows doesn't pass the 'smell' test.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know, was just being silly. I am Tempted to apply for a job though. I've been shooting for 50 years, reloading for 40 and think it might be fun to work in a gun environment. A young man (single) from our club worked there for a while and had to quit. The employees got first choice at the guns that were traded in, and he almost went broke working there! My wife told me I had more restraint than that, little does she know!

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
How do you know this? Most Wal-Mart employees don't strike me as being smart enough to do that.
Most probably aren't but there's a few who probably have just enough ambition to be low level criminals or ammo scalpers...not surprising given who they work for!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have found all thru the ammo and reloading shortage that my best chance to find products at decent prices were the smaller local shops.
When they got something in they kept it reasonably priced because they relied on the local people to buy from them in the future, and didn't want to anger customers. They tended to mark up based on their cost change, which appears to have been minimal.
Through 2014 there were stores in the Midwest that any time I wanted I could find a few pounds of usable powder at normal prices. I bought 24# of powder in 2014 and early 2015, and never paid more than $25-26/#.
I have the advantage of driving the Midwest, so I had regular places to check in Western Michigan, Northeast Indiana, Indianapolis, Milwaukee , and Iowa. I sometimes had to settle for what was on hand, but I was able to buy Titegroup, Bullseye, Unique, WST, and 700X almost anytime I wanted to for $19-21. Couldn't find HP-38 for over a year, but in Jan-Feb this year I bought 7# of it for an average price of $23-24/#. Primers have been available, but pricing usually $30-34/ 1000. Bullets, I could always find LRN, Coated RN plated and FMJ for 9mm and 45acp at normal pricing even in stores.
If you have any opportunity to travel by car, I suggest look on the internet for local gun shops, call them ask about components, most of them will take an order on the phone, or some for you, if you can get there within a day or so. For large chain stores, I found Scheels often had reloading supplies at good cost.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Went to the Kansas City Cabela's this morning and for the first time since things went south I bought primers and powder! I had purchased 10,000 primers and several pounds of powder and had been rationing them out for the past few years so I have been able to shoot so I had not been really looking. Today as I walked into the gun section a clerk was filling the powder shelf. He said UPS just delivered it and he had a whole cart of powder so I got Titegroup for $21 per pound and CCI primers for $27 per thousand! I'm goin to order bullets now and replenish my 9MM & .38 Special!

They had a sign saying they were looking for seasonal help, and since I just retired I'm May I'm thinking of applying for a job...nothing like having instant access to supplies!
Hey that sounds like a good deal, getting a job and Working at Cabela's.
Keep us informed how it goes if you get the job?
Best of luck!!
Scott

·
Registered
872 Posts
...They had a sign saying they were looking for seasonal help, and since I just retired I'm May I'm thinking of applying for a job...nothing like having instant access to supplies!
Cabela's in KC had a job fair about 3 years ago for seasonal help. I had lost my job in 2009 and had been running my own business, but it had slowed as fall and winter approached. So, I figured, why not give it a go? I applied strictly for work in the firearms department. When it came time for my interview, the interviewer was very interested in my reloading experience. Ultimately, they offered me a job. BUT...

Their starting rate of pay was $8.50 per hour. I lived 40 miles away. By the time that I drove to work for a part time job, paid for fuel and everything else, I figured that I'd be working for about $4.50 per hour. I politely declined their offer.

I still think I might've liked the job. They are very busy on the weekends. If it works for you, give it a try. Could be fun!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I seriously considered it, but came to the same conclusion. I am also a half hour away, and when my neighbor said "Think about black Friday." I quickly changed my mind, although I agree that it might be fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts