1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had the ar bug for a long time and now have the money to buy one.. Wanting to stay at 1k or less. only requirements are 16" barrel and if it has to have a carry handle make it detachable but id prefer a flat top,dont care if its a m4 profile or midlength. ill modify it in due time so for now i just need a basic rifle. ive looked at dpms, del-ton, bushmaster,stag,and even a couple other complete rifles. I know its cheaper to get a stripped lower and then a complete upper but almost all the uppers i have seen when put in conjunction with a stripped lower and lpk are close to the price of a del-ton already already built. Planning on a new stock, pistol grip, either mid length or rifle length handguards, if rifle length or anything over 9" ill have a low profile gas block and incorporate both front and rear flip up irons...But building one exactly like that will cost way more than 1k so ill just start with the basics and start adding parts here and there.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Prices are dropping nicely. You can get a "good quality" AR for arouns $1000. or even less. Take a look at Bravo Company or Daniel Defense. These two would be good to go. If you've been researching, these two have the things you want in a class AR already. If you're looking for something on a budget. I saw DoubleStar AR's for $649 today. Also something to consider is a S&W. I saw one of their top models for $975 today. They are also good quality. Good hunting.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
SW M&P series are nice. They seem to be near the top on the AR chart. Out of the box you'll need a trigger job though. It's too heavy the trigger that is. I've owned few Bushmasters over the years they were very reliable but I was surprised to see that they are listed pretty low on the comparison chart though.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
matrosov- the thing I've found with BM's is, not all are spec'd out the same. not consistant. There is an armorer on m4carbines that posts from over in the desert. his group is issued BM's. He says it is amazing how many they have received were not chambered for 556. They had to be reamed. My son received one as a gift last year. And actually would score pretty high on the chart. I put together a CMMG from almost all CMMG parts. Except for furniture. I am very happy with how it turned out, and how it compares on the chart. Putting together a gun nowadays is a very good option. And, unlike 1911's, all parts are drop in. You assemble an AR. You don't really build them.:) BTW- I noticed you own some pretty nice long guns.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
You can get

Colt 6920's for around $1100, along with a S&W, LMT, Bravo Co, or Daniel Defense would all be up on my list. I would try to keep it mil spec, though...

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
You have had lots of good advice so far.

Building is incredibly easy and the best way to know what components you have in your rifle.

My recommendation to you is assemble it with quality components.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i have been looking up a lot of videos on assembly and i think i will just put it all together myself, not buying a complete upper and lower, buy stripped upper and lower and go from there. First figure out how much cheaper it will be, if not much ill go for an assembled upper from whomever and a stripped lower and lpk.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
if you

want it to keep for sure, then it is very satisfying to assemble one yourself. If you ever plan to sell or trade it for something else, a factory gun will be much more valuable...because there aren't too many people that want the franken AR that was homebuilt. Just saying. Of course, the experience would probably be worth it just in understanding how they work, and for future modifications/trouble shooting/improvements.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Assembling an upper is the trickiest part of putting one together. you might think about buying an upper that is mostly asembled. Plus, there are tools you won't have to but if you go that way. Headspace and barrel/upper assembly could be the hardest part. And you will need tools to do it right. Get an upper with the barrel of your choice. there are good ones out there at a reasonable cost. It will still keep it under your desired price.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
You can build a DTI (Del-Ton) for 'bout $600 that meets your requirements.
+1 on the DTI's. I have one in the M4 config and it has been outstanding. Only complaint I had was the trigger had a gritty feel to it at 1st but has smoothed out quite a bit now.

Also if the OP is serious about wanting a flat top then good optics are a must for the 16" carbines. I am a devout Aimpoint guy but there are other good choices out there.

Regards,

·
Registered
207 Posts
I saw a S&W M&P with the iron sites, no A2 handle the other day.
It was new at a little over $800.

It would be hard to beat that if you used top quality parts to build your own.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
bignose- I agree. Good buy on a good gun. S&W's score high on the comparison chart of things to look for. they did their homework before they started making their AR's. Prices are dropping. Hate to be redundant. but it is worth mentioning.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
the S&w's are not bad buti would replace the trigger, however from the manufactures you listed i would look hard at stag uppers for your build if you want an assembled upper, or rock river, BCM, DD are of course good.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
wildfire- I would disagree with some of what you said. IMO you can't put Sabre or Rock River in the same category as DD, Bravo company, or S&W. Just my opinion of course. :)

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
the S&w's are not bad buti would replace the trigger, however from the manufactures you listed i would look hard at stag uppers for your build if you want an assembled upper, or rock river, BCM, DD are of course good.
I must disagree. Stag and RR are not in the same class as BCM and DD.

If you are going to build do a little reading here:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

You can't go wrong with BCM stuff from Bravo Co USA.

I ordered a custom upper from DTI. I feel pretty confident it will be a quality upper, I haven't seen it yet so I can't be sure. DTI prices are hard to beat and their customer service was pretty good.

I bought my lower from Bud's. They have 2 lowers on their front page, I would get the S&W lower, it would result in higher resale down the road if you ever needed to.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

1 - 16 of 16 Posts