1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now the Brady group is paying for advertisment to try an ruin Florida's tourist industry by warning potential tourist they are at risk of being shot by locals?

These anti-gun groups make me sick! It's like even though the people have voted and their agenda is not wanted they try and disrupt the order just to cause hate and discontent!

I would love to see the Floridians who's livelyhood depended on tourism join together and sue the Brady group in a class action suit. I mean if you slander a person you are sued for libel and slander so whats the difference when you slander an entire state?

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=2014492005

· Registered
3,037 Posts
It might be worth getting copies of the posters and leaflets being distributed by Sarah Brady's folks. When this tactic backfires on them--as it probably will--they are likely to deny that they did it. I'll post their press release in the next message.

Has anyone else noticed that it's becoming more difficult to distinguish the civilized people from the uncivilized people?

The Brady Campaign doesn't like a Florida law giving people greater ability to defend themselves so it wages war on the people of that state by attempting to hurt it economically.

Appleton, Wisconsin, Chief of Police Richard W. ("Rick") Myers doesn't like a Wisconsin law that allows people to defend themselves so he threatens to harrass people of that state with "a more aggressive style of policing" if it passes.

New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin and Chief Edwin P. Compass don't like the Louisiana law that allows people to defend themselves so they order confiscation of the means by which people of that city defend themselves.

Not only do all of these people circumvent or break the law, they think themselves virtuous for doing so and they're proud of it. These are the people who destroy civilization. They put themselves above the law. Civilized people need to repudiate them.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
Brady Campaign declares war on Florida

Here's the Brady Campaign press release announcing its war on Florida because it doesn't like the state's expanded protection of people who defend themselves against deadly attacks. Why do they want ordinary people defenseless anyway?

News Release

FLORIDA SHOOT FIRST LAW TO TAKE EFFECT;
BRADY CAMPAIGN PLANS TO EDUCATE TRAVELERS

For Immediate Release:
09-27-2005

Contact Communications:
(202) 898-0792

Washington DC – The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is beginning a public education effort to educate Florida tourists and potential Florida tourists that effective October 1, they face a greater risk of bodily harm within the state of Florida.

That is the date that the state’s new “Shoot First” law also known as the “Stand Your Ground” law, goes into effect.

Individuals who are unfamiliar with Florida’s roads, traffic regulations and customs, or who speak foreign languages, or look different than Florida residents, may face a higher risk of danger – because they may be more likely to be perceived as threatening by Floridians, and because they are unaware of Florida’s new law that says individual who feel their safety is threatened or their possessions are at risk are legally authorized to use deadly force.

“We think people visiting Florida should be aware of this law, and act accordingly,” said Sarah Brady, Chair of the Brady Campaign. “Visitors should be very careful about getting into an aggressive argument with anyone during their stay.”

The Brady Campaign is placing advertisements to educate these tourists and potential tourists in key U.S. gateway cities feeding tourists to Florida, starting with Chicago, Detroit and Boston, and in selected overseas markets beginning with the United Kingdom beginning Sunday, October 2. Educational materials about the law were shipped to more than 120 leading U.S. and international journalists as well as trade publication editors in the travel industry and editors at consumer travel magazines.

The ad reads “Thinking about a Florida vacation? Please ensure your family is safe. A new law in the Sunshine State authorizes nervous or frightened residents to use deadly force. In Florida, avoid disputes. Use special caution in arguing with motorists on Florida roads. Police and prosecutors are concerned about the potential for unnecessary violence.”

A website offering additional information about the law will go live on Wednesday morning, September 28 at www.shootfirstlaw.org.

On Saturday, trained staff will begin to distribute educational materials on this subject to arriving passengers at Miami International Airport beginning Saturday, October 1. This effort may be extended to additional airports in the coming weeks, including Orlando. The material reads, in part:

“The “Shoot First” law is a new law in Florida that police, prosecuting attorneys and gun violence prevention advocates worry may lead to the reckless use of guns on the streets of Florida cities. Before the law was passed, Floridians could carry concealed guns in public places, but they could only use those guns as a last resort when safe avoidance of injury was otherwise not possible. The new law eliminates the duty to avoid the threat and, instead, allows the gun user to “shoot first” to eliminate the threat.

“It is not difficult to imagine likely situations in which individuals may use lethal force where they did not before. An argument on the highway, or a disagreement in a restaurant or nightclub, or a dispute over belongings in a public place such as a beach could lead to unnecessary use of force.

“The Florida ‘Shoot First’ law was passed over the strong objections of law enforcement officials and prosecutors.

The flyer suggests specific steps visitors should take: Avoid unnecessary arguments with local people; stay in their cars and keep hands in plain sight if involved in a traffic accident or near-miss; and maintain a positive attitude and avoid shouting or threatening gestures if someone appears to be hostile toward them.

# # #​

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, working with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.​

Million Mom March • Brady Center • Legal Action Project • State Gun Laws​
Stop The NRA Campaign • NRA Blacklist​
All information ©2005 Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
united with the Million Mom March
Privacy Policy​

· Registered
60 Posts
“The Florida ‘Shoot First’ law was passed over the strong objections of law enforcement officials and prosecutors.

they also aren't afraid to tell a lie.
the bill had great support across the law enforcement community
pat

· Registered
4,821 Posts
patrick jones said:

they also aren't afraid to tell a lie.
the bill had great support across the law enforcement community
pat
I wondered about that.

· Registered
10 Posts
I found the implications of the ad amusing....

Warning!

Do Not Act Like A Soccer Hooligan or Engage In Road Rage Like You Do At Home Or You Might Be Held Accountable For Your Actions...Unlike At Home!

:biglaugh:

· Registered
412 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. In their desperation, the Brady bunch may have made a terrible tacticle error. Their attacks on the pro second amendment groups are not working, so now they are attacking the tourist trade in Florida. They hope the outcome will be support from the tourist trade to repeal this law, but there is always the chance they are going make those groups foes not friends. The Brady bunch is already having problems fighting the NRA, one can hope they are adding to the list of groups they are fighting. If I were in the tourist trade in Florida I would be hoping mad.

· Registered
4,821 Posts
Brady Bunch propaganda said:
Before the law was passed, Floridians could carry concealed guns in public places, but they could only use those guns as a last resort when safe avoidance of injury was otherwise not possible. The new law eliminates the duty to avoid the threat and, instead, allows the gun user to “shoot first” to eliminate the threat.
Is it just me, or does it seem almost as if they are forced to admit that concealed carry itself isn't a problem, as long as there is a duty to retreat? We might be able to use that here in Illinois.

· Registered
7,595 Posts
Could it be that all the people in the Brady Bunch and other anti-private firearm ownership gorups know that if they were armed they would be ready to shoot first so they assume everyone slse have the same thoughts and willingness?

· Registered
3,037 Posts
Jim V said:
Could it be that all the people in the Brady Bunch and other anti-private firearm ownership gorups know that if they were armed they would be ready to shoot first so they assume everyone slse have the same thoughts and willingness?
Ouch. That thought never occurred to me. But I think that you've nailed something really important, Jim. We--many or most of us at least--are trained to know that we have assumed great responsibilities. The Brady folk and other anti-private-ownership people aren't trained that way. So it really is quite possible that they are projecting their own attitudes and urges. You've given me food for thought.

That would help explain why those people seem extraordinarily nutty, wouldn't it? (We need a lightbulb emoticon to show the light going on over our heads.) It's an almost funny reversal.

· Registered
779 Posts
Brady Campaign == LAME

:barf:

· Registered
4,821 Posts
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the best thing to do about this is to ignore the Bradys until they go away. When Sarah's dire predictions of blood in the streets fail yet again to materialize, they'll get tired of spending their time, money, and rapidly dwindling credibility trying to make an issue out of nothing.
Let them waste their efforts fighting a battle they've already lost--we need to concentrate on the battle that is just beginning: Michigan.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
kjhof said:
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the best thing to do about this is to ignore the Bradys until they go away. When Sarah's dire predictions of blood in the streets fail yet again to materialize, they'll get tired of spending their time, money, and rapidly dwindling credibility trying to make an issue out of nothing.
Let them waste their efforts fighting a battle they've already lost--we need to concentrate on the battle that is just beginning: Michigan.
I disagree. Never turn your back on an enemy or assume that he's no longer dangerous. Remember Chuck Taylor's first lesson about responding to attacks. Chuck says to always ask yourself:
  1. Is he hit?
  2. Is he down?
  3. Is he out?
  4. Does he have friends?
Groups like the Brady tend to morph into other groups with the same goals and a member of any one of those groups tends to join others of a similar nature.

· Registered
4,821 Posts
I misspoke. I don't mean that we should ignore the Brady Campaign--just that I think this particular gambit of theirs is too foolish and ineffective to warrant a response.

It did, however, just occur to me that maybe they don't really hope to change Florida law. Perhaps this is meant to serve as a warning to Michigan: "Pass this law, and we'll do this to you, as well." Maybe not, though--I don't imagine Michigan depends as heavily on tourism as Florida does.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
kjhof said:
I misspoke. I don't mean that we should ignore the Brady Campaign--just that I think this particular gambit of theirs is too foolish and ineffective to warrant a response.

It did, however, just occur to me that maybe they don't really hope to change Florida law. Perhaps this is meant to serve as a warning to Michigan: "Pass this law, and we'll do this to you, as well." Maybe not, though--I don't imagine Michigan depends as heavily on tourism as Florida does.
No problem, although I do think that it would be an error to ignore this gambit. I wouldn't respond directly to the Bradys though. My response is to ask people I know who live in Florida (some are dependent on the tourist trade) whether they're aware that Sarah Brady's group is trying to scare tourists away because Floridians are allowed to defend themselves against criminals who attack them. I'm an easygoing kind of guy: I'm eager to help the Bradys, a lot.

Napoleon said "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." A variation is "Assist your enemy when he is making a mistake."

· Registered
4,821 Posts
That makes sense. To correct myself yet again (don't worry, I'm accustomed to the necessity of doing that :p ), I don't think there is a need to put anything like the effort into countering this, in terms of time, effort, and money, as the Brady Campaign is expending in pursuing it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts